cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower load times for RAW files taken with RF 24-105 f/4-7.1

loem01
Apprentice

Hi all,

My first post here.  I recently got the new RF 24-105 f/4-7.1 STM to use with my RP.  When I try to edit the RAW files in Canon DPP (v4.10.50.1), I notice that the load times (when I do Edit Image) of the raw files are noticeably longer than the RAW files shot with some of my older other EF lenses (ie. 24-70 f/4 L).  I also dowloaded and tried with some more recent versions of the DPP (4.11, 4.12.20) and it actually gets worse.  Am I the only one who's experencing this?

BTW, I'm running DPP on a MacBook Pro 15 with a AMD Radeon GPU.

tl

6 REPLIES 6

Peter
Authority
Authority

DPP4 doesn't support GPU acceleration for AMD cards.

Do you have a raw sample taken at 24 mm? It may be due to lens correction.

I found a raw file from RP+RF 24-105 f/4-7.1. The raw file has visible black corners and a cropping is needed. DPP4 will crop no matter what.

If you save NR and Lens correction to the last part when editing your pictures, is it still slower?

I made sure that all the lens corrections were turned off in-camera, when I open the RAW files in DPP, I can see that the lens correcton setting were all off.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Have you compared the size of the image files when you use different lenses?  

Try shooting the same subject using the RF and EF lens, with both at the same focal length.  About 50mm would be good, and do not shoot at something far off in the distance.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Here's what I just tried: I took test shots with the focal length of the lenses set at 50mm, in manual metering mode, so the shutter/aperture and the ISO settings are all the same.  The lenses I used for this test are: 24-105 f/4-7.1, 24-70 f/4, 50mm f/1.4.  I took shots of the same outdoor scene on a subject that is about 50~60 feet from the camera, and the file size of the shots (file format is CRAW) taken with each lens is:

24-105 f/4-7.1 - 23.6 MB

24-70 f/4 - 25.1 MB

50 f/1.4 - 25.7 MB

And still, the "Edit Image" load time in DPP of the file taken with the 24-105 f/4-7.1 takes the longest (very obvious), and the files taken with the 24-70 f/4 and 50 f/1.4 are about the same.

@loem01 wrote:

Here's what I just tried: I took test shots with the focal length of the lenses set at 50mm, in manual metering mode, so the shutter/aperture and the ISO settings are all the same.  The lenses I used for this test are: 24-105 f/4-7.1, 24-70 f/4, 50mm f/1.4.  I took shots of the same outdoor scene on a subject that is about 50~60 feet from the camera, and the file size of the shots (file format is CRAW) taken with each lens is:

24-105 f/4-7.1 - 23.6 MB

24-70 f/4 - 25.1 MB

50 f/1.4 - 25.7 MB

And still, the "Edit Image" load time in DPP of the file taken with the 24-105 f/4-7.1 takes the longest (very obvious), and the files taken with the 24-70 f/4 and 50 f/1.4 are about the same.

Hmm.  It should not make any real difference RAW or CRAW.  But, what is surprising is the size of your files.  According to the User Manual, they should be much smaller, probably by one third.

6BE2BC94-CFA0-4220-8DD8-E69960FB9278.jpeg

Something is going on that make your RF glass behave, or save, a little differently.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements