cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D Mark II Shutter count check.

Vimmer
Apprentice

Hi,

What software program are you using for shutter counts check for a Canon 7d Mark II?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Vimmer wrote:

Hi,

What software program are you using for shutter counts check for a Canon 7d Mark II?

I do not use any of them.  Some of them rewrite your firmware, which is NOT GOOD.  Send the camera to Canon Service for a cleaning and check out.  Ask them to give a shutter count.  Having it on a written report from Canon is best.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Vimmer wrote:

Hi,

I do not use any of them.  Some of them rewrite your firmware, which is NOT GOOD.  Send the camera to Canon Service for a cleaning and check out.  Ask them to give a shutter count.  Having it on a written report from Canon is best.

JimCee69
Contributor

I just purchased a Canon 5D Mark II on Ebay with a Shutter Count of 1,751.  My first image number was 7,858.  I ran my own shutter count after a few pics and it is 1,758.  How is that possible?  If the Shutter Count was greater than the Image Count, that's explainable because of the reset .  But less than?  What am I missing?ShutterVsImageCount.jpg

@JimCee69 wrote:

I just purchased a Canon 5D Mark II on Ebay with a Shutter Count of 1,751.  My first image number was 7,858.  I ran my own shutter count after a few pics and it is 1,758.  How is that possible?  If the Shutter Count was greater than the Image Count, that's explainable because of the reset .  But less than?  What am I missing?ShutterVsImageCount.jpg

Thanks for posting this.  Those software apps simply do not work reliably.  

[EDIT]  It almost sounds like the software is reading the shutter count on the current battery.

Thanks for the reply Waddizzle!  I appreciate the info.

Peter
Authority
Authority

The file numbering and the shutter count have nothing to do with each other.

Screenshot_20210120-080150.jpg

Thanks for your response, Peter.  I'm aware of the reset feature, and that there is no direct correlation.  Even so, since shutter count increments and can't be reset, it must always be equal or greater than the image count.

Example:  New camera:  Shutter Count 10 = Image Count 10.  Reset Image Count, and shoot 10 more pics.  Result:  Shutter Count 20, Image Count 10.  This could go on ad infinitium, but I can't envision a case were the Shutter Count would ever be less than the Image Count unless the Shutter Count had been reset/hacked or 'turned over' from say 100k.

btw, the memory card is new, never before used, and was formatted in camera before I took my tests shot.  The battery was out of the camera and fully charged before use.

You wrote that you bought it on Ebay. Then it doesn't matter if you have a formatted card or not. The file numbering will continue from the previous owner.

There is a firmware bug with the shutter count in 5D II, but you will probably never notice it and it doesn't start before the shutter count reaches 2048.

Thanks, Peter.  I don't want to beat a dead horse and I am appreaciative of you taking the time to shed light on this dilema.

The problem is that the Image Count, regardless of how it incremented and regardless of how many times it was reset should never be greater than the Shutter Count. It can be equal (if never reset), but never greater unless it stopped incrementing at some point or it was reset, neither of which should happen.  Maybe that's the bug you mentioned?

To me, this suggests that the camera was often used for video capture.  A new video clip will raise the image count, however does not use the shutter as a photo would and therefore does not accumulate a shutter count every time the record video button is pressed.  

A little late in answering this, but better late than never as they say

Announcements