cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 HS no longer recognized as connected to any computer/ device

TxRosz
Contributor

I purchased the brand new PowerShot SX280 HS three weeks ago. Being a person that actually reads directions and owners manuals, I followed the Getting Started booklet exactly as stated to connect the camera to my Win 7 (64-bit) PC, and it worked well to automatically transfer my photos to the computer via USB cord using CameraWindow. 

Within a few days, I had also set up the camera's wifi connection to the same computer, and it worked fine to transfer selected photos to the computer.  I *think* that I could still also connect to the computer via USB at that time.  I also set up wifi connections to various email addresses and to Canon's iMAGE Gateway online.  However, I was never able to connect via wifi to my tablet (Motorola XOOM, Android 4.1.2) 

A few days later we took a week-long trip out of town for our dd's college graduation (the whole reason for the camera upgrade). Rather than waiting a week to download the photos to the home computer, we tried to connect the SX280  to our Win 7 (32-bit) laptop via USB, having previously installed the Canon software. However, the laptop would never recognize being connected to the camera.  After trying the set-up several times, we finally succumbed to using ImageBrowser to import the pictures directly from the SD card inserted into the laptop. 

Upon returning home, I wanted to download the pictures to the home PC, but now had the same problem as with the laptop: CameraWindow, ImageBrowser, and Windows Explorer all gave me the same error - no camera detected!  Tried using ImageBrowser to import the pictures from the SD card inserted into the PC, but even that was not recognized by the computer! Finally got the computer to "see" the SD card when I put it into a USB card reader and connected that way. Whew!

Tried again today to connect the camera to the home PC, but still no recognition by the computer of there being a camera connected via USB.  In an attempt to start over from the beginning to connect the camera to the computer, I resorted to removing that computer from the camera's wifi settings, deleted the camera profile from the computer's list of devices, and removed all the Canon software from the computer, Alas, during the software installation process, when the time came to connect the camera via USB to the computer, I received the same error - could not detect any camera as connected to the computer!  

Did setting up the wifi connections somehow disable the ability to connect via USB

What to do???  There is now a big Firmware Update available for this camera to correct a major glitch, but I fear I will not be able to install the update if the computer cannot detect the camera.

15 REPLIES 15

TxRosz,

At this point, we would like to help you to further troubleshoot this over the phone.  This will help us both by giving us real-time feedback and helping us to resolve this in a more timely manner.  Please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON between the hours of 10 AM and 10 PM EST, Monday through Friday excluding holidays.  We look forward to hearing from you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I just bought the same camera and I'm having the same issues.  My computer doesn't ackowledge the camera when I connect it via USB.  On the camera itself, the words "communication error" appear a few moments after connecting it to my laptop via USB. 

Did you find a solution to the problem? 

Thanks

No solution yet. I called Canon, talked to someone who didn't know much about the problem and who apparently didn't take a moment to read all these forum messages. Just wanted me to re-do all the troubleshooting I had already done from the forum. Ended up saying I need to send in the camera. I was getting ready to go on a major trip, so didn't send it in at that time. Trying to get it sent in this week, to hopefully get it back by Thanksgiving. (Not sure if my shipping label will still be good, or if I'll have to request a new one.)

Thanks for the quick reply.  I doubt it will help you, but I looked up the error messages on Canon's website (troubleshooting guide for that camera) and found that "communication error" means that there are too many (more than 1,000) photos on the SD card and that I must use a professional card reader (something like that).  I had more than 3,000 photos on the 32 GB Extreme Pro SDHC card so that could be the issue, although that is ridiculous.  My other Canon cameras have never had an issue. 

I inserted the SD card into my laptop and, fortunately, it read the card and displayed my pictures.  I removed about 850 pictures and about 10 videos and that seems to have resolved the communication error.  Not a long term solution by any means, but just happy to have access to the photos at the moment. 

Also, when I insert a 2 GB SD card containing only a few hundred photos, I don't get the communciation error. 

Good luck and please let me know if you find a solution.

fyi...I just spoke with a Canon tech rep who told me that the problem is the SD card...that it's trying to push too much data through the USB port.  He advised me to format the SD card when using a new/different camera so that it can communicate properly when connected to my computer via USB.  He said it should be able to hold/transfer a lot of pictures without issue (e.g., 5,000 pics).  I'll give this a try and see what happens. 

PatEggers1
Apprentice

I had a few problems myself.  I was told by the tech on the phone that my Vista computer was not supported and the software would not work with the system.  I searched all over the internet and talked to the camera techs where I bought it.  I was told that I needed to upgrade my computer to Windows 7 or newer.  Then I tried emailing Canon.  The suggested fix worked!  Here it is:

We would recommend that you update the CameraWindow software, please use the link below to access the download page for your camera.

1.  Ensure the correct operating system is posted in the drop down box.  Then click software
2.  From the list select:CameraWindow 8.10.2.b
3.  Agree to the License Agreement.
4.  Choose to SAVE the file and save it to the Desktop.
5.  Run the file located on your Desktop.
Also keep in mind you must have the date and time set correct on your camera.  The camera will not connect to your wireless network if the date and time is not set properly.
I hope this information is helpful to you.  Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need additional assistance.
Announcements