cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 HS Firmware update - not an option on the menu

1-awm
Apprentice

Hello, today I purchased a SX280 HS for my wife.  I was waiting for the update on the firmware to fix the battery issue and it came out without complaints, so I went to BB to get one.  I came home with it, charged the additional battery and went to update the firmware.  I followed all the steps, but when I get to play back mode in step 4: you cannot scroll down to Firmware.  The menu stops at transition, so the instructions posted are just making me more angry?  And, yes, I checked to make sure the SN of this unit needed the update and according to their website it does.  OS X 10.8.4 on a Macbook, easy to get the firmware onto the card.  

Any ideas, at this point, I'm willing to cut bait and take it back and get a Sony Point and Shoot.  I liked the Canon for the larger pixels and D6 processor, but the firmware is buggy and the camera is just starting to really frustrate me with not allowing me to access the firmware build.

I've reset the camera to factory, any thoughts?

Thanks 

Mike

6 REPLIES 6

1-awm
Apprentice
Well, I found out why it wasn't working, it is the way a Mac formats the card. I tried the same steps over on my work PC on Monday morning and it worked 1st try.

Lesson learned, they may post the Mac version, but don't trust it.

I'm having the same problem! It makes me crazy!!

I put the card to USB memory card and the file system is FAT32.

I have windows 7 64bit.

I did it like 10 times and nothing! I don't have the firmware option.

Can someone help me please? I can record video with this camera.

Thanks

Make sure you don't turn on the camera. Turn the camera off, insert the SD-cart, (don't turn it on) press PLAYBACK and press MENU. This will enable the menu item FIRM UPDATE.

Thank you so much! I was having the same problem on my Macbook Pro (so frustrating!), but when I did as you said and just pressed the playback button, it worked like a charm! Now hopefully the firmware update fixes the video/battery issue. Thanks again!

Sander,

thank you so much for taking the time to post the wonderful information. I had been going crazy for the last hour trying to get the format option to come up.

Kudos!

Thanks sander! It helps to read the instructions! I did not do it like this and did not have the option. When you do it in this order it works perfectly!!
Announcements