cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel XT downloading images

AStreeter
Apprentice

I just bought a used Canon Rebel XT, and I have a cord to download images. But when I connect it to my computer, nothing happens. I did find that I needed to change the setting on the camera, but do I need software for my computer in order to get the pictures to download? If so, how/where do I get that?

Thanks in advance for any help!

8 REPLIES 8

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi AStreeter,

Thanks for checking in with us!

The download options for that camera will depend on which operating system your computer is running.

Are you on a Windows operating system, like Windows 10 or an older version? You can check the version by pressing the START button and then right clicking on COMPUTER or MY COMPUTER and then select PROPERTIES.

Or, are you on a Mac running Catalina (10.15), or do you have an older version? You can check by clicking on the APPLE icon on the top left and selecting ABOUT THIS MAC.

We look forward to your reply.

I also have a Rebel XT, and I have been uploading my pictures to my desktop PC using the EOS utility since 2006 with no problems.  But I just bought an older laptop, and I had to reload Windows 8.1 onto it.  I tried downloading and installing:

"EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 29.0A for Windows"

from your website, and it installed with no problems.  But it does not seem to recognize my camera when I connect it with the USB cable.  Did I install the wrong version, or am I doing something wrong?  Thanks.

@pauldoliver wrote:

I also have a Rebel XT, and I have been uploading my pictures to my desktop PC using the EOS utility since 2006 with no problems.  But I just bought an older laptop, and I had to reload Windows 8.1 onto it.  I tried downloading and installing:

"EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 29.0A for Windows"

from your website, and it installed with no problems.  But it does not seem to recognize my camera when I connect it with the USB cable.  Did I install the wrong version, or am I doing something wrong?  Thanks.

Do you know if the USB ports on the used laptop are any good?  I'm not sure which version of softesre that is, but I am almost certain that you need to run EOS Utility 2.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your response.  Yes, I have used the USB ports on the laptop with thumb drives and an HP SimpleSave backup drive, and they work fine.  The "EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 29.0A for Windows" package I installed contains Canon Utilities EOS Utility 2, so that is what I am using.  Is it possible that a USB connected camera is no longer supported on any version of the EOS Utilities?  

@pauldoliver wrote:

Thanks for your response.  Yes, I have used the USB ports on the laptop with thumb drives and an HP SimpleSave backup drive, and they work fine.  The "EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 29.0A for Windows" package I installed contains Canon Utilities EOS Utility 2, so that is what I am using.  Is it possible that a USB connected camera is no longer supported on any version of the EOS Utilities?  

Try to update the EOS Utlity.  If you install the latest EOS Utility 3, then it also updates EOS Utlity 2 along with it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@pauldoliver wrote:

It looks like you would need EOS Utility 2.7, which seems to be offered only for Vista and earlier. 

As suggested, use a card reader. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

I had the same problem with my XT on my Win7 machine, though it didn't really surprise me considering the age of the camera. The simplest and most logical cure is to get a USB card reader. Some people seem worried about damaging the CF card terminals in their camera by repeatedly removing and reinstalling the memory card. I've never had that problem with my cameras, but then I remove the cards carefully and use a light touch when putting them back in. And it might be worth not using some of the cheaper, off-brand, knock-off CF cards.

As with everything camera related, nothing should ever be a "force-fit".

Seatada
Apprentice

Someone recently gave me a Rebel Canon XT she was no longer using. Having no DSLR experienced, I struggled for quite a while trying to figure out how to download images from the camera and finally realized there is no longer a EOS Utility software package that works with this camera. I looked around to see if I could find an older version of the EOS Utility, but that might not work anyway.  However, I found another way that works with my Mac, and that's to use the PTP option to download (it's in the same menu item as Print). Mac offers an app called Image Capture (I think it comes with all Macs) that will download images to the computer directly from the camera, once the camera is set to PTP and linked by usb. Problem solved! I wouldn't be surprised to find that PCs have a similar program. Image Capture will download both RAW and jpg file formats, offers a variety of other options, and seems very easy to use. And this approach means I don't have to constantly be removing my CF card from my camera when I want to transfer my photos.

Announcements