cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raw processing

Kolourl3lind
Enthusiast

I just have a few questions on processing canon raws.

1. I just learned that Adobe lightroom throws away all picture styles so that what I see on my LCD screeen is not what I get in lightroom. I saw the picture style correctiong thing, and I have set it to standard.  I wanted to know what else may be affecting my pictures.

2. Is there way to convert raw files to DNG while savingthe jpeg style information?

3. Metering. I keep reading about matrix metering. Is that the same as evaluative metering?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

When you shoot in RAW the camera records choices such as picture styles, white balance, etc. but it does NOT apply them to the image itself.  It's not allowed to make any change to the image that would result in a loss of original data (that's the whole point of RAW ... it preservers all the information and allows the highest possible post-shooting adjustment latitude.)

HOWEVER... when you shoot in RAW, a "preveiw" image is also generated and the preview image is technically a JPEG.  I suspect you're seeing the preview.  There is nothing wrong with Lightroom ... it's doing exactly what it is supposed to do and displaying the RAW image exactly as your camera recorded it (which is without any artistic adjustments).

You'll need to apply the corrections using Lightroom to mimic the look you want or use the Lightroom presets.

As for metering... yes Nikon "Matrix Metering" is basicaly their version of Canon "Evaluative Metering".  The two systems are not identical, but both meter most of the image (they leave out the extreme borders) and automatically try to find the light and dark areas to optimize exposure.  It's not foolproof, of course, but it does do satisfactory work in most circumstances.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

When you shoot in RAW the camera records choices such as picture styles, white balance, etc. but it does NOT apply them to the image itself.  It's not allowed to make any change to the image that would result in a loss of original data (that's the whole point of RAW ... it preservers all the information and allows the highest possible post-shooting adjustment latitude.)

HOWEVER... when you shoot in RAW, a "preveiw" image is also generated and the preview image is technically a JPEG.  I suspect you're seeing the preview.  There is nothing wrong with Lightroom ... it's doing exactly what it is supposed to do and displaying the RAW image exactly as your camera recorded it (which is without any artistic adjustments).

You'll need to apply the corrections using Lightroom to mimic the look you want or use the Lightroom presets.

As for metering... yes Nikon "Matrix Metering" is basicaly their version of Canon "Evaluative Metering".  The two systems are not identical, but both meter most of the image (they leave out the extreme borders) and automatically try to find the light and dark areas to optimize exposure.  It's not foolproof, of course, but it does do satisfactory work in most circumstances.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements