cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raw photos transfer as jpeg in Digital Photo Professional

PhotoMan
Contributor

Just recently got a 70D and took some pictures in RAW, was able to transfer some yesterday into photo pro and edit 1, i tried to open and transfer more images in today and they all transfer in as jpegs and i cant edit them...

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Why the files are JPEGs is a separate issue from not being able to edit them.  I suspect that you are new to DPP, and are trying to edit JPEG files on the RAW tab.  Sorry, but all of those goody tools are only available for RAW files.  You will notice some other stuff may be greyed, too, when you try to edit JPEG files.

Why are the files being transferred as JPEGs?  Who knows.  Check to see what the format is inside of the camera.  Remove the card, and use a card reader to inspect the contents on a computer.  See if the camera saved as JPEG.  I think the default setting is JPEG.  Re-check the camera settings and shooting modes, too.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

PhotoMan
Contributor

my RAW photos keep transfering in as jpeg images and i cant edit them

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

How did you transfer it? DPP might be making a JPEG from your RAW file since most editors cannot handle RAW.

What program are you using? There is no "Photo Pro" or PhotoPro".

@kvbarkley wrote:

How did you transfer it? DPP might be making a JPEG from your RAW file since most editors cannot handle RAW.

What program are you using? There is no "Photo Pro" or PhotoPro".

I assumed "photo pro" just meant DPP. 

I am not aware of DPP changing file formats during a download to PC, which is what I assume the OP is doing....transferring via USB to a PC or a MAC.

I think you are right, I thought he got them into DPP and then "transferred" them to another editor.

i just transfered them from the camera sd card into iphoto and then from iphoto into DPP. could it be somewhere in the transfer process that theyre now turning from raw to jpeg?

@PhotoMan wrote:

i just transfered them from the camera sd card into iphoto and then from iphoto into DPP. could it be somewhere in the transfer process that theyre now turning from raw to jpeg?

If it worked before, why should the behavior suddenly change all on its' own?  It wouldn't. 

Double check the file format are saved in the camera again, too. Call up the photos on the LCD.

Verify the file format save setting in the setup menus, too.

the photos show up as raw on the camera, the settings were still set to raw as well. Most photos transfered as raw but some transfered as jpegs. They show up in iPhotos picture info as being a raw photo but when i try to drag or import into DPP they change into jpeg

You are doing it backwards.

Dragging in iPhoto will transfer a jpeg. You need to export the original (file-Export and set kind to original) in order to transfer the RAW to DPP.

If you want to get the edited image back to iPhoto, you will need to re-import. And it is unclear just what you will get if you import an edited RAW into iPhoto.

You can set DPP as an external editor and transfer the RAW that way if you want.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements