cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raw editor for T7/1500 images

davetelling
Contributor

I have a new Rebel T7, and I'm having a hard time finding a shareware/freeware raw file editor. I have tried Raw Therapee and UFRaw, but both just show my raw files as mainly bright pink backgrounds. I read that for UFRaw, the program doesn't recognize my camera - and looking at the camers list, the T7 is not listed. So, any ideas as to what might work? I see many recommend shooting in raw format because it has the most picture information, but it's a problem if the editor can't work with it. I had hoped ot use UFRaw to convert to tiff so GIMP could import it, but that's not working. I'm open to suggestions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray-uk
Whiz

Canon's very own DPP (Digital Photo Professional) it is made for the job and furthermore it is free, just download it from your Canon site. It may have been included on a CD with your camera but just lately Canon seems to have stopped doing that.

Arguably the best raw converter/editor for Canon camera files.

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

@Ray-uk wrote:

Canon's very own DPP (Digital Photo Professional) it is made for the job and furthermore it is free, just download it from your Canon site. It may have been included on a CD with your camera but just lately Canon seems to have stopped doing that.

Arguably the best raw converter/editor for Canon camera files.

I didn't get a CD with my camera kit from Costco, but I just downloaded the file from the Canon website & we'll see how it goes!

"I didn't get a CD with my camera kit from Costco,..."

I don't think any new Canon camera comes with a DPP4 CD anymore.  It is all d/l situation.  You did get a Canon USA warranty card?  You did get an unopened box? I understand Costco is good at restocking returned items as new!

From now on it might be wise to buy your camera gear from a store known for supplying photographic gear. It is always suspect when you go camera shopping and pick up the toilet paper and hamburger at the same time.  Best Buy for example or a local camera shop, B&H or Adorama, Roberts, etc.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I didn't get a CD with my camera kit from Costco,..."

I understand Costco is good at restocking returned items as new!

Do You have some facts to substantiate that claim? I'd really like to know if they really do that.

Several months ago I bought my Canon SL2 "Kit" from Costco. It appeared to be a factory sealed box with all the docs and warranties. The lenses included are probably not up to your standards, but the camera works GREAT for me! Any problems I've had are all related to my inexperience.

Walter

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

"Do You have some facts to substantiate that claim? I'd really like to know if they really do that."

I do not personally because I don't utilize Costco or Sam's Club.  I read a reply here on the forum from an individual that was a victim of it. I thought, oh well, he's just a complainer and not very responsible because of other posts he has made.  However, I have since paid attention to some of my friends locally here that thought they had bought some items from Costco that were obviously opened. My apologies to the first guy reporting for doubting.

MPO, I would never, ever, buy a camera from Costco or Sam's Club or Walmat either for that mater. If you can buy some sausage and a rug and tires at a store you probably aren't choosing the best place to buy a camera, IMHO, of course. Also goes for Amazon!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Do You have some facts to substantiate that claim? I'd really like to know if they really do that."

I do not personally because I don't utilize Costco or Sam's Club.  I read a reply here on the forum from an individual that was a victim of it. I thought, oh well, he's just a complainer and not very responsible because of other posts he has made.  However, I have since paid attention to some of my friends locally here that thought they had bought some items from Costco that were obviously opened. My apologies to the first guy reporting for doubting.

MPO, I would never, ever, buy a camera from Costco or Sam's Club or Walmat either for that mater. If you can buy some sausage and a rug and tires at a store you probably aren't choosing the best place to buy a camera, IMHO, of course. Also goes for Amazon!

I have noticed the same thing.  There is no malicious intent.  It is just simply sloppy inventory control, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I have noticed the same thing."

You enlightened me.

Not being a Costco shopper I was unaware until some more folks thought the same thing. One person claiming it not such a big deal but when you start to hear others saying the same thing, well, it takes some notice. They were not all cameras but I don't think Canon seals the boxes from the factory.  It would be hard to tell if it had been opened and used until a problem showed up. If a retailer routinely replaces, apparently unopened, cameras back on the shelf without confirming condition, that's not where I want to  buy a camera.

EB

@davetelling wrote:

I didn't get a CD with my camera kit from Costco, but I just downloaded the file from the Canon website & we'll see how it goes!

Return the camera for a full refund.  Do not accept an exchange.  If you have had the camera for more than 15 days, you may have to contact Canon Support for service, 1-800-OK-CANON.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@davetelling wrote:

Return the camera for a full refund.  Do not accept an exchange.  If you have had the camera for more than 15 days, you may have to contact Canon Support for service, 1-800-OK-CANON.

Why return? He didn't say anything was wrong with the camera, and Canon doesn't say the CD is in the box. Compare "What's in the Box" for the T7 and the 5D Mark IV.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@davetelling wrote:

Why return? He didn't say anything was wrong with the camera, and Canon doesn't say the CD is in the box. Compare "What's in the Box" for the T7 and the 5D Mark IV.

I thought he said his images were pink in the initial post.

I downloaded EVERYTHING I was supposed to and I still have the pink pictures! Very frustrating!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements