cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raw editor for T7/1500 images

davetelling
Contributor

I have a new Rebel T7, and I'm having a hard time finding a shareware/freeware raw file editor. I have tried Raw Therapee and UFRaw, but both just show my raw files as mainly bright pink backgrounds. I read that for UFRaw, the program doesn't recognize my camera - and looking at the camers list, the T7 is not listed. So, any ideas as to what might work? I see many recommend shooting in raw format because it has the most picture information, but it's a problem if the editor can't work with it. I had hoped ot use UFRaw to convert to tiff so GIMP could import it, but that's not working. I'm open to suggestions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray-uk
Whiz

Canon's very own DPP (Digital Photo Professional) it is made for the job and furthermore it is free, just download it from your Canon site. It may have been included on a CD with your camera but just lately Canon seems to have stopped doing that.

Arguably the best raw converter/editor for Canon camera files.

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It is strange that 90% of Canon camera owners are unaware of DPP4.  Yet they will go searching the web for a free editor.

Speaking for myself, I typically google when looking for answers. If a product doesn't show up in google search, it's very likely that I will miss it. Also, it looks as if it may only be available for Canon owners, as it requires a product S/N to download?

"... it looks as if it may only be available for Canon owners, as it requires a product S/N to download?"

Do you not think that is the case since it is a Canon product and comes free with every Canon camera. If your Raw files come out 'pink' with DPP4, there is something wrong with your camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... it looks as if it may only be available for Canon owners, as it requires a product S/N to download?"

Do you not think that is the case since it is a Canon product and comes free with every Canon camera. If your Raw files come out 'pink' with DPP4, there is something wrong with your camera.

I was speaking in the context of a google search - since it is Canon-owner specific. At any rate, RAW files look great in DPP4.

Additional info - I did not have a separate "Quick-Start" sheet, but the basic manual has that at the beginning. Also, th emanual specifcally says that no CD is included, but says to download info from the Canon website, which is pretty standard procedure nowadays.

And yes, the manual DOES mention the DPP software. My bad for not investigating further!

It's been a while since I got my T6i but I knew the SW DL was mentioned somewhere at the start...make that manual your best friend. I went as far as to have mine printed, spiral-bound so it lays flat. 6"X8" format, not too small, not too big.

@John_ wrote:

It's been a while since I got my T6i but I knew the SW DL was mentioned somewhere at the start...make that manual your best friend. I went as far as to have mine printed, spiral-bound so it lays flat. 6"X8" format, not too small, not too big.

John,

The manual I have is printed, in 3 langauges, and very tiny print!

Dave, Yes, I know the printed manuals from Canon are tiny when they actually include them and I have 20-20 vision....I also have the PDFs on my phone and tablet but prefer the printed one at times. I do like the search feature of PDF files to find things, it's like an index on steroids.

Yep, just plug in your serial number and get the free Canon software and register your camera at the same time for any future warranty issues. I seem to remember on the "quick start" guide that comes with the camera it specifically directs people to download all the free software....in any case it is there plus you get the camera registered too.

OK, it seems this has gotten blown out of proportion a bit. Perhaps this will clear things up:

1. There is nothing wrong with the camera.

2. I am looking for software to work with RAW files, and several googled suggestions did not work as well.

3. I asked for advice on this forum, and found out about the DPP4 prgram Canon offers.

4. I downloaded it, and it seems to work fine with RAW files.

5. No CD was included with my kit, and none was listed on the conents, so I got exactly what I paid for.

6. I am very happy with the camera, I'm just wanting to learn more about the creative side of things.

FWIW - I have purchased a number of digital cameras from Costco over the years (all lower-level point-and-shoot, and a Panasonic Lumix mid-level) and have never had an issue with what I bought - always sealed boxes, no missing parts, etc. I have dabbled in photography since I was a pre-teen, and have a decent understanding of the technical side of things, but never spent mucgh time on the "creative" side, so this is something of learning curve for me. I'm also a semi-retired EE, so I have decent understanding of software/electronic concepts.

Thanks to all for their advice, it looks like DPP4 will do the job for me.

Enjoy the journey!!

Announcements