cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE EOS Utility

adriansuri
Contributor

Hi

I am now on my third canon DSLR after  my  last two were stolen including my nifty fifty,

Canon EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM Lens etc.   Anyway I now have another  Canon 77D and purchased a second  had (not used) EFS 18 - 135mm Nano USM lens, which I love, however, I havent got a card reader and when get connect my camera (wifi/bluetooth turned off) EOS Utility starts in wifi mode

canon.npg.png 

Windows recognises my  camera, My question is how to get out of wifi mode? 

Thanks in advanve

Adrian Suri

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There is a program called the EOS Launcher, which is a Windows Service that detects the camera, and then launches either EOS Utility 2 or 3, depending upon the model of your camera.  The Launcher seems to want to initially default to Wi-Fi mode on some machines, even though you connect via USB and it detected your camera via USB. 

You just need to close that program, and then go into the start menu and manually start the EOS Utility 3.  Once you give it that initial startup, it should automatically launch in the future.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

SORRY SHOULD HAVE INCLUDED i AM CONNECTING WITH USB 3 (Toigh have tried  usb 2)  OS is windows 10 . profesional.  I tried closing the notification but when I launched cannon utility the wifi dialog reopened.  I do not think it's a driver issue as the camera lense registration tool works ok 

thanks again

Adrian

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I think the gold double arrow circle in lower left means there is an update available. Try clicking  that and see what happens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks tried that, as  well as using my back pci USB 3 card still without luck, very  fustrating 

Go into the program folder and find the Canon Utilities folder . Open it and select EOS Utility 2 and see what happnes.

2019-02-16.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I get an error message thus

error.png

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@adriansuri wrote:

I get an error message thus

error.png

You need to launch EOS Utility 3.  The EOS Utility 2 would not recognize your camera, so that message is correct.  

If there is no shortcut for it in the START menu, then go into Windows Explorer, and look for the a Canon folder within the Programs folders.  The EXE file you want should be named “EOS Utility 3.exe”.  

While you are in there, you might want to right click on the file name to create a Desktop shortcut.  You could even add a shortcut for it to the START menu, once you create one on the Desktop.

Again, once you get it to launch the first time, it should find it in the future.  Also, be aware that the USB ports can go to sleep after a couple of minutes of inactivity, and so can your camera.  Make sure that you turn the camera on just before you manually launch the application.

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Go into the program folder and find the Canon Utilities folder . Open it and select EOS Utility 2 and see what happnes.

2019-02-16.png

You do not seem to have a shortcut for the EOS Utility 3, either.  

I see “EOS Utility”, which is the desktop utility for EOS Launcher Service.  I see “EOS Utility 2”, which is the older version.  All recent cameras seem to use the EOS Utility 3.

Announcements