cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM requirements to run EOS utility?

dwinmichigan
Contributor
I'm buying a Windows 10 tablet that has only 2gb RAM. My intention is to use this tablet chiefly in conjunction with my camera and star tracker, and its use with the tracker will be limited only to assist with more precise polar alignment. My hope is to be able to utilize the EOS utility on the tablet to control the camera and view images more easily than on the camera's LCD. Of course, I would like to use the tablet and the EOS Utlity even when not using the star tracker.

Does anyone know if 2gb RAM is enough to run the EOS Utility? I know that more is better in this instance, but whereas I can add a memory card for storage, I cannot add any RAM.
4 REPLIES 4

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The last I saw from Canon, 2 GB is the minimum when running Windows 10 so you are probably OK.  Canon is assuming a typical Win 10 installation and you may run into issues if your other programs are utilizing significant amounts of RAM.  Windows virtual memory "feature" may help with this but responsiveness could get pretty bad. 

When running with the minimum recommended hardware configuration, you will just have to try and see if the performance is acceptable.  Depending upon your camera and tablet, you MAY be able to just use the tablet as an external display for the camera in which case you won't have to worry about memory limitations in the camera display mode. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

dwinmichigan
Contributor
Thank you!

dwinmichigan
Contributor
My camera is a Rebel T6 (1300D). You mentioned being able to use the tablet as an external display. Would I be able to do that while taking photos, or would I have to switch the camera into a "play" mode? With night photography, I'd like to avoid having to touch the camera as much as possible once I have it set how I want it.

I've had marginal success using the Canon app and using my phone and Android tablet to view images as I take them, but maintaining a connection always seems to be an issue, and I've connected directly to the mobile device as well as via my home network. The direct connection is more reliable, but not much. I've used a 3rd party app that permits a USB connection and works much the same way as the Canon app, but allows a little more remote control of settings, but even that gets dicey at times.

I have never used a T6 but according to page 141 of the user manual, Live view will display the image on a monitor connected via a HDMI cable.  Note that most tablets don't support HDMI input but I believe that some are available.

Your camera may have had a small manual instead of the full manual included with it, you can download the full manual from Canon support.

But if you actually want to control the camera from your tablet, you will need to run EOS utility and you will want it to be responsive.

Good luck!

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements