cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Camera and Exposure Spefications when Using Digital Photo Professional

mjschocken
Enthusiast

I recently purchased a Canon EOS 80D camera.  I've also started shooting in the RAW mode.  I also post my images on flickr.  I am processing the RAW images with Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4.  However, when I then save the image (as a JPEG) and post to flickr, there is no camera specifications (name of camera, settings such as shutter speed, f stop, ISO) that come along with the image.  Previously, I used a Microsoft program to edit JPEG images and I got all the camera settings.  However, using DPP, I don't get those settings with the published image.  I originally posted on the flickr help site and the replies had to do with DPP stripping the user settings.  Is that right?  If so, how do I maintain the camera settings that would go along with the image when saved and uploaded to flickr?

Thanks.

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Okay, so I figured out that the HDR tool is for more than one raw image and can be used with automatic exposure compensation.  So, by definition, there isn't a single set of user settings because exposures change within each set.  I think, therefore, I'm all set.  Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I cannot help you with fickr, but DPP does not strip away EXIF data.  MS Windows simply doesn't know how to read  the EXIF metadata as "File Properties".

What "Microsoft program" did you use to edit JPEG images, to get all of the camera settings?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your reply.  I used Microsoft Office 2010 to edit my JPEG images.  All it provides is brightness, contrast, color and cropping.  However, when I put the edited image on flickr, I did get all the user settings below the image.  However, when I used the DPP software for the RAW images, the user settings did not come along with the image on flickr.

@Waddizzle wrote:

I cannot help you with fickr, but DPP does not strip away EXIF data.  ...

That's not quite accurate. DPP doesn't strip away the Exif data by default, but it can be instructed to do so. And once so instructed, it remembers that setting in subsequent invocations until you turn it off. And once turned off, it doesn't stay off unless you immediately convert another picture.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What is the "Shooting Info setting" set to on the save dialog?

Under Tools and under Preview Properties Display Settings, I've checked everything with regard to user settings.  I also see the samecheck box under thumbnails.  Is there another place where I can include all the display settings prior to saving the image?

When I edited the image in the Tool Palette and saved it, I did see the "include all shooting info" and it was retained after I posted the image on flickr.  I just started using the DPP software so I need to figure out about HDR which, by the way, I liked for providing enhancements including sharpness.  However, when saving the HDR-edited image and posting on flickr, I lost the shooting info, as noted. 

I appreciate the rapid feedback.

Mark

Okay, so I figured out that the HDR tool is for more than one raw image and can be used with automatic exposure compensation.  So, by definition, there isn't a single set of user settings because exposures change within each set.  I think, therefore, I'm all set.  Thanks for the help.

@mjschocken wrote:

When I edited the image in the Tool Palette and saved it, I did see the "include all shooting info" and it was retained after I posted the image on flickr.  I just started using the DPP software so I need to figure out about HDR which, by the way, I liked for providing enhancements including sharpness.  However, when saving the HDR-edited image and posting on flickr, I lost the shooting info, as noted. 

I appreciate the rapid feedback.

Mark

What should the shooting info be for an HDR photograph be when it was created from multiple exposures?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements