cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems using EOS Utility3 to transfer images from 7DII to PC

digiquisitive
Enthusiast

I find that I have to use EOS Utilty2 to transfer new images from my CF card in my 7DII to my PC, instead of EOS Utility3.  Utility3 starts up when I connect the camera, but it will not let me automatically upload new images to the PC.  I just once again had this experience with a card full of nothing but new images (never before uploaded to the PC), and Utility3 was totally non-responsive  (I tested this several times, with the same results).  So I started Utility2, and it allowed the upload to proceed normally.  Then I went back to Utility3 with the same CF card full of already-uploaded images, and selected the option to allow me to specify which images on the card I want to upload.  Utility3 handled this quickly and normally.  Any idea why Utility3 balks at (refuses to) upload fresh new images off of a card, when Utility2 will?  Utility3 goes to sleep when I try to do the auto upload. Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

@Waddizzle wrote:

I can only speculate as to what caused the issue, why the issue persisted, or even why the issue has seemingly cleared itself out of your system.  What I do know, from the messages you wrote about, that one or more device drivers were either missing or not properly installed.  It is likely that Windows may have updated the drivers on its' own.

As far as someone from Canon weighing in, this is a user forum, not a service center.  Whatever caused your issue, it does not seem to be widespread, affecting hundreds of 7DII users.  If it were, those users would have made their issues known to Canon, just as you have tried to do. 

I believe the answer is that some cameras occupy the borderline between the old (DPP 3, EOSU 2) and new (DPP 4, EOSU 3) Canon software. I have EOSU installed (on Windows 8, 8.1, and 10) the way the OP now has it, allowing the program itself to choose which version to use. All of my cameras are now supported by DPP 4. But I've noticed that when I connect my 5D3 to EOSU, it chooses version 3; but when I connect my 7D's, it chooses version 2.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements