cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with PhotoStitch (on OS X) when saving pictures

dee7kay
Apprentice

Hi,

I have a problem with PhotoStitch (version 3.2.6, currently under Mac OS X 10.9 but the problem has already existed under 10.8), which makes the software completely useless.

Stitching photos together works without problem. But when I save a stitched picture the software only saves a small part. It is the part which is by default used for cropping the picture before saving. I tried to drag and drop the frame which is used for cropping to the right position. I also tried to disable the cropping before saving. But no matter what I do, the output picture remains the same, i.e. only the default part for cropping.

I have added an example which shows the preview of the stitched picture and the frame for cropping, which is roughly a quarter in this example. As I said before when I save the picture I only get the little framed part, no matter if cropping is activated or not.

Screenshot PhotoStitch

It would be great if someone could help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PViz
Apprentice

Hi all,

I think the cropping problem in Photostitch has to do with the resolution of the retina display on newer Macs.  The solution is to change the settings in Photostitch to low resolution.  Here is how to do it:

1.  Open Finder and locate the app (this can't be done in the dock.  For example, mine is located in:

Applications/Canon Utilities/Photostitch/Program/Photostitch.app

2. Right-click the app (or highlight the app and hit Command-i) to open the info window and select Get Info.

3.  Under General, check the box that says, Open in Low Resolution.  Close the window.

That's it!

The program now automatically centers the cropping window, as inidcated:

PhotoStitch.png

The final image is appropriately saved:

versailles1.jpg

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

saqi
Apprentice

I have the same problem, making the Photostich unusable. It crops the pictures even when I uncheck the crop option. Will appreciate if you can post a solution if you found one.

Just installed photostitch on my Mac and I am having the same problem.  No matter what is done in the adjust image dialog or how the cropping rectangle is positioned, the stitched image is cropped when saved.

It appears that the initial position of the green cropping box is used for cropping, no matter how the cropping box is positioned or even if cropping is turned off.

angrystar
Apprentice

Has anyone solved this problem?  I'm having the same issue.

PViz
Apprentice

Hi all,

I think the cropping problem in Photostitch has to do with the resolution of the retina display on newer Macs.  The solution is to change the settings in Photostitch to low resolution.  Here is how to do it:

1.  Open Finder and locate the app (this can't be done in the dock.  For example, mine is located in:

Applications/Canon Utilities/Photostitch/Program/Photostitch.app

2. Right-click the app (or highlight the app and hit Command-i) to open the info window and select Get Info.

3.  Under General, check the box that says, Open in Low Resolution.  Close the window.

That's it!

The program now automatically centers the cropping window, as inidcated:

PhotoStitch.png

The final image is appropriately saved:

versailles1.jpg

Pviz,
Excellent timing on posting your fix!  I just loaded up PhotoStitch today and ran into the same problem as everyone else and your fix did the trick!  Thank you!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This problem has been KILLING me! Your suggestion works perfectly. Ahhh!

sotonian
Apprentice

Having migrated from the PC versions of the software to OSX when I got a MBP I too experienced this problem with PhotoStitch. At the end of June I found this thread and so contacted Canon Europe (I am in the UK). Today I got a response which confirms this workaround. I was also telephoned by a helpful individual who seemed quite switched on. I suspect that this may now be fixed in a future release.  I thought that I would add my findings to this forum - only to find that in the intervening couple of weeks the soultion had already been posted!

I will paste the text of the email I received from Canon Europe below.

Date: 21/07/2015
Service Request:1-5469161582

Dear Mr G,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Please be advised that as you are using a Retina Display Macintosh model, you may need to use the Canon Photo Stitch Application in a low resolution mode.

In order to change the running mode of this application please follow the steps below>

Finder -> Applications -> Canon Utilities -> PhotoStitch -> Program -> Ctrl Click on the Photostitch Icon and click on Get info from the dropdown. -> tick the [Open in Low Resolution] box and close this window. Now when you start the application it should work as expected.

Please let us know your test results.

I hope this information is of use to you. If you have any other queries, or need any other information, please do not hesitate to reply directly to this email, keeping all previous history. Alternatively you can call us on the number below quoting your ticket number from the subject bar of this email so that we can locate your case history quickly.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter and I apologise for the tardiness of our response.

Yours sincerely, 
Tibor Szovetes
Canon Services & Support 

Tel: 020 7660 0186
Opening hours: 09:00 – 18:00 hrs (Monday to Friday) and 10.00 - 16.00 (Saturday)

Clicked the "open in low resolution" checkbox, launched Photostitch, manually selected a group of stitched images files (versus opening directly from Imagebrowser) - same result.

Photostitch will only save the upper-left corner of the image.

Will Canon be updating the software to work with new Macbooks?

Balstrup
Apprentice

Expeirenced the problem on the new Macbook with Retina screen.

Tried the suggested solution and the problem is solved.

GREAT!

Wildwood
Apprentice

To PViz and Sotonian, who have both posted in July 2015 their solutions to a Canon Photo Stitch problem I am now having.

In March 2016 I have encountered this problem also and have spent over 3 fruitless hours with a Canon customer service rep on the phone trying to solve this. Although he was very nice and tried many ways to fix this, he did say he had never heard of this problem before; he even consulted with his colleagues but still did not find a solution.

Today I found your two [ identical ] solutions from last July. I tried those method descriptions but it still did not fix the problem. I work on both a MacBookPro Retina from mid 2014 and a MacBookAir [ non Retina ] from mid 2013. Both run Yosemite 10.10.5. The problem which occurs on the Retina machine does NOT occur on the non-Retina Air. I have seen mention made of this Retina problem. 

Some potential obstacles I encountered using your solutions which might yet help me  :

1.I did open the app from Applications using both the "Control Click/Get Info" method from Tibor Szovetes in the U.K. as well as using the Command + i method : I used both methods to access and to tick tthe "low resolution" choice.  But in either case that didn't open the applicaiton itself; for that I had to go the icon in the Dock to open Photo Stitch. Is there a way to get the Application to open and function without going to the Dock ? Does that still matter after clicking "low resolution" [ but which didn't open the App itself to full functionality ] ?

2. I then did my merge but the green crop rectangle appeared, as it did before when I first encountered the problem, in the upper left corner of the merged image.  When the problem first occurred this week, that upper left corner part of the image was all that Photo Stitch included in the final Saved product, not the whole merged image. That is still the same result now.

3. So then I drug the green crop box line to include the full merged image and tried to Save again. Same result. I got the upper left corner of the image as it looked when it first merged. Your instructions did not say whether to still drag the green box around the whole merged image or whether it wouldn't matter to leave it in the upper left hand corner. Should I drag it or not ? At no time in this dragging process did the cropping ever center itself on or include the full merged image.

I would certainly appreciate any insights you, or anyone else, could offer.

Thank you very much.

Announcements