cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please justify data mining my contact list for image.canon to work

magarity
Contributor

OK, I get that the new image.canon is a free service so it has to be paid for some way, but seriously please think of something other than data mining my contact list. The Android app refuses to run without this permission granted to it. There is no need for a photo transfer app to require reading my contact list.

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

When are you asked for this information?  The inquiry may not be coming from Canon.  

When you write code for app that interacts with third party apps and web services, then you must obtain a license from them.  This is usually done in the form of what is called an SDK, System Design Kit.  

For example, if you wish to allow your users to log into Google, then you probably have to make use of a Google SDK to implement the actual login process to Google.  This means that it is code written by Google that performs the actual login.  

Once again, the inquiry may not be coming from Canon, but from a third party SDK.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Apparently you haven't used the Android version.

It is getting hammered in the Play store reviews for requiring access to the contact list and not running if it doesn't get it.

@magarity wrote:

Apparently you haven't used the Android version.

It is getting hammered in the Play store reviews for requiring access to the contact list and not running if it doesn't get it.

My apologies. Apparently you did not understand anything I wrote.  Not a single word.

@Waddizzle wrote:

When are you asked for this information?  The inquiry may not be coming from Canon.  

When you write code for app that interacts with third party apps and web services, then you must obtain a license from them.  This is usually done in the form of what is called an SDK, System Design Kit.  

For example, if you wish to allow your users to log into Google, then you probably have to make use of a Google SDK to implement the actual login process to Google.  This means that it is code written by Google that performs the actual login.  

Once again, the inquiry may not be coming from Canon, but from a third party SDK.

Does the fact that the inquiry may not be coming from Canon mean that Canon is blameless? Wouldn't they have had to approve any addition to their app by Android (or Verizon or whoever)?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Does the fact that the inquiry may not be coming from Canon mean that Canon is blameless? Wouldn't they have had to approve any addition to their app by Android (or Verizon or whoever)?

First and foremost, all of the above is speculation.  I have asked the OP when is the inquiry being made, and so far I have gotten no response.  So, it is not a fact that the inquiry is not coming from Canon.  I don't know when or where it is coming from.

I am no lawyer.  When you use an SDK, you agree to their terms of use, take or leave it.  Personally, if the inquiry is coming from the SDK, then I would not declare Canon entirely blameless.  I am sure the inquiry appeared during testing.  For all we know, the presence of the inquiry may be the reason the roll out was delayed.

I can't figure out in this context what you're even asking "when is the enquiry made?". I'm talking about Android app permissions. It seems you may not be using Android and/or not installed the app in question. Thus this line of speculation about third parties asking for something doesn't make any sense to me.

Fortunately the app seems to only be needed to preview so with its invasive permission requirement I just won't use it.

Announcements