Canon Community Canon Community

Super Contributor

Re: Photo editing

Interesting. Thanks for your experience.observations. I have sent photos in the past without editing and never really heard any negative feedback. They were plain ol' jpg photos from my wife's SX530 HD which takes good photos.

I downloaded John's link to the videos. Checking some things and going to start the videos. A search for DPP4 came up with a sackful of videos. I'll start with John's link and then plow through the manual.

Super Contributor

Just viewed three videos from the link. It is more "complicated" than what I have used for editing so far. But DPP4 allows much more editing "room." for a photo. I also looked at the manual which is making more sense to me. I had mentioned that I am into outdoor writing and photograpy as hunting and fishing. Spring is approaching with the male turkeys (called gobblers) showing their brilliant red and blue neck and head. DPP4 will bring out those colors in a natural appeareance.

Forum Elite

"I’m not aware of any camera settings that DPP ignores in the default state."

DPP4 retains the camera settings in it's previews, LR uses Adobe's default settings. And the camera settings do affect these defults. DPP4 and LR work in different ways from each other. DPP4 being Canon's own propritary software can precisely match the in camera jpg settings and processing. This makes the default previews from DPP4 identical to the in camera jpg conversion. It does not affect the Raw file. It reaims unaltered. In this sense both are exactly the same. Canon is able to address the Raw data diferently than Adobe can. But in the end there is really no difference. The Raw file is unaltered even by in camera settings. A Raw file captures all image data recorded by the sensor when you take a photo that's all. The sensor has no user adjustable settings. The camera has adjustable file saving settings but these are not part of the Raw file.

If DPP4 and/or Lightroom, etc. didn't have or know those settings, it would be more difficult to produce a viewable image.  It could/can be done but not the best way to get to a logical starting point. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!