cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo editing software recommendations

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

On another thread, it was mentioned about editing photos. My T7 and File Explorer allow some editing but would like to expand the capabilities. Did the usual search and came up with a list from the XX Best Free Editing Software. GIMP was mentioned a few times as the recommended software. Anyone use this? Seemed simple to use and free. Thanks.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
45 REPLIES 45

I download every day 99% of the time unless it is late in the day.  I like to see them while the photo shoot is still fresh in my mind. I can review them and delete bad photos or ones I don't want to keep. Will be downloading DPP4 in just a few minutes. Again, thanks two bunches.

John

Had some time this evening. Found John's link with the videos.

Edit- saved the link to Toolbar for future viewing.

John

@Tintype_18 wrote:

Just downloaded the DPP4 and have it saved as a Shortcut for convenience. When I pulled it up, it had downloaded a bunch of jpg photos that I have taken over the years!

I think it goes to whatever windows default folder is for downloads, i.e., usrs/*insert users name*/pictures, but as mentioned, it might have searched for images. It's been so long, I just don't recal what DPPs default was when I first installed it.

This is what I do: I keep my photos by year, so I pull down the "tools" menu and select "preferences" then in "General Settings", I specify a folder for DPP to start in. That makes it easy for me to navigate to the folder I downloaded to. Yes, I have a very large SSD 😉

DPP 4 Preferences.jpg

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

As mentioned, I downloaded the DPP4 software off the Canon support. Downloaded the manual which is 194 pages. Seems to be overwhelming and don't know if I want to take the time to read it. Seems by the time I edit some photos for a publication, my time "cost" would be below the old minimum wage. Any suggestions?

John

Actually, if you aren't willing to put your time into something don't expect me to put my time in. Good luck with your business. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Many thanks. Still weighing the pros and cons.

John

First, an apology to John for my negative reply to this topic. John and others have been most generous with sharing their experience and expertise on this and other questions I have posted. I was overwhelmed with the lengthy manual for DPP4.

As I mentioned earlier, one writer/photographer used one softeware. Got an email from another who uses Windows Photo Editor, Paint and Paint 3D. He also suggested to get the editor's requirements on photo editing. Some will take photos "as is" and let the staff edit.  Others want some editing for starters. Others want fully edited photos. This like trying to buy a car...so many alternatives.

I did downlaod WPE and found it automatically comes up with a click on my older files. My One Drive has the most recent photos and allows for basic editing. I took a photograph of a bluejay at the suet block on the deck. Good photo but editing it with OD came out with great detail and colors with basic editing. Another thing I think is a factor is using the T7 to its greatest potential. I took a bunch of photos that were during cloudy overcast skies. Photos were dull to say the least. OD did allow some editing that improved the appearance. Several of theses photos were submitted to a magazine so I'm waiting to hear from the editor.

Here's my approach- One person narrowed down to the two parts of DPP4 that he used. Will look into this to start. Another is to view the tutorial videos to get the basics for starters.

Many thanks to all! Will be spening some time here learning the DPP4.

John

"He also suggested to get the editor's requirements on photo editing. Some will take photos "as is" and let the staff edit.  Others want some editing for starters. Others want fully edited photos."

That concept is so foreign to me I can't hardly believe it.  There is no way I would ever show an unedited photo to anyone let alone an editor that is considering publishing it. It never happened at my place of employment.  Sure there was an editing department that did what was needed to fit the photo to the project but they didn'y do any adjusting to my photos themselves.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Interesting. Thanks for your experience.observations. I have sent photos in the past without editing and never really heard any negative feedback. They were plain ol' jpg photos from my wife's SX530 HD which takes good photos.

I downloaded John's link to the videos. Checking some things and going to start the videos. A search for DPP4 came up with a sackful of videos. I'll start with John's link and then plow through the manual.

John

Just viewed three videos from the link. It is more "complicated" than what I have used for editing so far. But DPP4 allows much more editing "room." for a photo. I also looked at the manual which is making more sense to me. I had mentioned that I am into outdoor writing and photograpy as hunting and fishing. Spring is approaching with the male turkeys (called gobblers) showing their brilliant red and blue neck and head. DPP4 will bring out those colors in a natural appeareance.

John
Announcements