cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo editing software recommendations

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

On another thread, it was mentioned about editing photos. My T7 and File Explorer allow some editing but would like to expand the capabilities. Did the usual search and came up with a list from the XX Best Free Editing Software. GIMP was mentioned a few times as the recommended software. Anyone use this? Seemed simple to use and free. Thanks.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
45 REPLIES 45

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Canon provides a free editing software called Digital Photo Professional that can be downloaded from the Canon support site. I have never used GIMP so I can’t compare the two. An advantage of DPP is that it will replicate what you see on the back of the camera; it recognizes all the camera settings.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

This old dog has learned a new trick. Many thanks.

John

Got Canon support but it says for several of the downloads that they are for RAW photos. I don't use RAW.

John

If you don't shoot Raw you really don't need any editing beyond cropping.  Shooting jpg already says you are not interested in getting the best possible pictures. I use Photoshop and Lightroom.  GIMP is a open source clone of PS.  I find it more difficult to use than PS and it is more limiting in its ability.  DPP4, Canon's own is restricted to Canon products so if you use a off brand lens it is not as useful. 

You really need to rethink that, "I don't use RAW."Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If you don't shoot Raw you really don't need any editing beyond cropping.  Shooting jpg already says you are not interested in getting the best possible pictures. I use Photoshop and Lightroom.  GIMP is a open source clone of PS.  I find it more difficult to use than PS and it is more limiting in its ability.  DPP4, Canon's own is restricted to Canon products so if you use a off brand lens it is not as useful. 

You really need to rethink that, "I don't use RAW."Smiley Wink

"DPP4, Canon's own is restricted to Canon products so if you use a off brand lens it is not as useful"

The only thing you lose with a third party lens in DPP is the lens correction feature. All other aspects of the software are unaffected. 

I can't speak for GIMP, but DPP, Lightroom and Photoshop will automatically and seamlessly open a RAW file, so I concur - really no reason not to use RAW. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"The only thing you lose with a third party lens in DPP is the lens correction feature. All other aspects of the software are unaffected."

As long as you shoot Raw you mean.  You do lose some ability if it is a jpg not simply lens correction.

EB

Both cameras are Canon- EOS Rebel T7, Powershot SX530 HD.. Not all publilcations ask for RAW but some will take RAW and jpeg. T7 will take either or both. Two mentors have stated that editors will send photos to the art folks for editing. They don't edit photos.

ebiggs1, food for thought. Thanks. Need to justify the cost of editing software at this point.

John

"Not all publilcations ask for RAW but some will take RAW and jpeg."

I was involved with the publishing industry for 40 years. I know of none, at least that I was involved with, that did accept a Raw file.  You can not view a Raw file it must be converted to jpg or tiff, etc, first.

All Raw conversion is done seamlessly now.  No input from you. The editing abilities are fat greater though with a Raw file.

The industry standard is Photoshop but there are others that will work.  DPP4 is one of them and a pretty good choice if real indepth editing is not needed.

EB

ebiggs1, my EOS Rebel T7 take both RAW and jpeg or as separate photos, depending on the camera setting. Just heard from a friend who Uses Photo Shop Elements 14. Will peruse through the possibilities and see what comes up.

John
Announcements