cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS on sale

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I was at Staples to pick up a new mouse. I went over to the software display. Found Photoshop Elements on sale at 69.99 and PS Premier Elements at 99.99 through May 29th. Thought I would run this by the group. Debating on the 69.99 deal. Your thoughts????

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
17 REPLIES 17

I emailed my son to see what camera his daughter had, thinking if she had a Canon, she might want DPP4 for editing. He has Photoshop and wished he got the Ultimate for the additional capabilities. Re: Lightroom, he says it's more complicated, needing to go to Youtube as he doesn't us it all the time to take a photo and run with it. Your thoughts?

John

@Tintype_18 wrote:

I like to review posts and replies to lock it in my memory. They say memory is the second thing to go; can't remember the first.

Newton, do you have Photoshop Ultimate plus Lightroom? FWIW, the sale on Elements or Premier goes off this coming Saturday. I'm cheap.

No, I use DPP 4 for Raw editing and Corel PhotoImpact for framing and cropping. Although I can crop/frame in DPP, I just prefer to "convert & save" the entire frame in DPP then use PI where I have more control of the resulting tif image. I use Corel PaintShop Pro Ultimate just to play with because it has some great features and is fun to use.

Fortunately, DPP is all I need for a finished product when I do decide to sale a print. My technique is 90% pre shot prep (exposure, proper background & b/g lighting, setting, my position, etc.) and 10% post editing. So, by the time my Raw files hit my computer, I just need to add/subtract a bit of saturation and use unsharp mask to adjust out some of Canons anti-aliasing (AA) filter. Depending on the lens, I sometimes use the lens optimizer, and sometimes use DPP's noise reduction when I have to raise ISO for various reasons.

I would say that there are a lot of "old timers" on this forum that use the same 90/10, but choose to use PhotoShop or Lightroom, and nothin' wrong with that at all, just not my path. Our advantage is coming from film where you just get a few opportunities to get "that" shot, so we worked on technique and it carried over into digital. I'm not criticizing others, just pointing out where some of us came from, but you don't have to be from that era to know or learn propper technique.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

@Tintype_18 wrote:

I like to review posts and replies to lock it in my memory. They say memory is the second thing to go; can't remember the first.

Newton, do you have Photoshop Ultimate plus Lightroom? FWIW, the sale on Elements or Premier goes off this coming Saturday. I'm cheap.

The plethora of products with similar names can get confusing.

If Ultimate is the tag then I think your son was refering to Paintshop, not Photoshop.

Lightroom is an industry standard, but it is a subscription based product. The subscription includes Lighytroom and Photoshop for $10/month.

If you are just starting out in post-processing (i.e. switching from in-camera baked-in JPEGs to shooting RAW and tweaking the results) DPP is more than adequate, and its free.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John, got the titles mixed. Here is the one I was looking at on sale. One can purchase it and download directly from the Staples website.

[Mod Note: Removed link per FORUM GUIDELINES (No linking to third party sites that sell things)]

John

I bought the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021 today @69.99. I looked at the Premier but it had a bunch of things for videos which don't interest me.

John

@Tintype_18 wrote:

I bought the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021 today @69.99. I looked at the Premier but it had a bunch of things for videos which don't interest me.

Great. That should get you started.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I had mentioned earier that I joined a local photography club. Seems there are a number of members who are either active or retired from photography, graphics, etc. I have a sackful of photos in RAW that I can use for practice. I'll see what I can do and post some on this forum.

John

I received an email alert for a reply to this thread but get a 404 error code. Also, isn't in the posts here.

John
Announcements