cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PHOTO EDITING SOFTWARE

monradon
Contributor

DOES ANYONE HERE USE OR TRIED THE PHOTO SOFTWARE FROM MAGIX ???

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

No.  I use DxO PLE and DPP.  The DxO software has lens profiles for all of my Canon and Sigma lenses. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

I'm assuming that you're wanting to do RAW image editing.

Canon DPP works well, but a number of users find it be a bit wonky or sluggish, especially on computers that aren't properly "juiced up" for photo editing. Like my current Win7 desktop.

More and more I find myself using an older version of DxO Optics Pro. I like the results and it seems to be more stable and a bit faster. When I get a newer computer if DPP still wants to act up I'll download a trial version of the newer DxO PhotoLab.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

DPP works well for me and I recently updated to version 4.10.40 which seems to be a bit faster with some tasks.  I am primarily using a dual processor workstation with 16 total cores and a lot of memory and a very fast video card but I have used DPP a little lately on a HP Zbook 17 (single 4 core intel CPU with 32 GB of memory and Nvidia graphics) and it does pretty well on that laptop machine also.  Being able to do some of my editing in the atmosphere of a coffee shop makes some processing delay acceptable 🙂

I also use the Adobe suite but for a lot of stuff DPP is enough.

Remember when buying software that a big part of the cost is the learning curve so it is wise to check other's experience before investing a lot of time in becoming highly proficient with a package that ultimately won't do all that you need.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

The reason asking i have used the audio software for 100 years give or take a few years .  The photo part is great but there is a learning curve and i just used what i needed without really learning it.  But figured anvancing to a digital camera i better take time to learn one so ?????

The truth, there is Photshop and Lightroom and then there is everything else. If you want the best that is the answer if not go with whatever.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

they are canon and adobe ??

@monradon wrote:

The reason asking i have used the audio software for 100 years give or take a few years .  The photo part is great but there is a learning curve and i just used what i needed without really learning it.  But figured anvancing to a digital camera i better take time to learn one so ?????

Your posts are light on details, but the nature of them suggests, at least to me, that you are fairly new to photography and DSLRs. If that is the case, forget Photoshop and Lightroom for now. Learn to use your camera, learn about photography, and start with Canon's free DPP software. That should get you well on your way to "editing" your images. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
PS and LR is Adobe. There are many other options but PS/LR is the best
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

I've used an older version of Magix for audio editing over the years but didn't even know they had any photo software. But it appears to mainly be for photo browsing and organizing with only some very limited, basic editing features.

If you're converting RAW files and approaching this to eventually work at a professional level, then ebiggs1 is probably right. This is assuming that you're willing to rent your PS and LR software on a monthly/annual basis instead of actually owning it. For professional use it's a powerful combo and seemingly a must-have.

But for serious amateurs and, dare I say, even some professionals there's a lot of alternatives that you can buy and own. Corel's photo software offers a lot of features but some are a bit gimmicky and in some ways it seems not very intuitive to me. There's The GIMP which is a freeware PS alternative, but I've never used it and don't know its capabilities for working with RAW files. And there's other choices as well that you can download for a free trial period.

Personally I've never tried LR, but I'm sure there's a reason why it's considered to be the "king of the hill". But for editing and converting RAW images, between Canon DPP and DxO OpticsPro I've never felt that they were missing any vital features. Though I'm also not doing this work at a professional level.

Announcements