Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

[ Edited ]

THANK YOU Canon for doing this, it's very cool. 😎

The driver seems to create a virtual webcam that I can choose in Hangouts, Zoom, Quicktime, etc, but my camera doesn't talk to the computer and I only ever see this screen:

Screen-Display-beta.jpg

Catalina 10.15.5

EOS M200

USB cable plugged into Anker USBC hub (also tried it directly into USB2 port)

Wifi on the camera is turned off

The camera says "Busy" any time I try any of the menus with the USB cable connected.  But the webcam driver doesn't provide any video.

Are there any other things I can try? 

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

Does anyone know if the Beta version works outside of the USA? Specifically in the UK or EU? 

Thanks!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I have a EOS 450D (not officially supported but still works).
Highlighted
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just got my M200 working - it works in Zoom, CamTwist, Hangouts.

Wifi is enabled, but the "Video Snapshots" feature has to be turned off 

I noticed that this feature has to be off for Wifi to be enabled, which made me think it might interfere with the camera making external connections while it's active.  Disabling it fixed the problem right away.  It's working well with only a fraction of a second lag on the video.

😎

Edit: It also works in OBS. 👍

Screenshot 2020-07-07 12.07.01.png

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Unbearable latency?

Just registered to add another data point.
Setup: brand-new M50 + macbook (usb-c / 3.0 capable) + EOS Webcam, video lag is anywhere between 250ms - 500ms

As of July 7th, EOS Webcam + M50 is un-useable in its current form for videoconferencing due to lag.

Unfortunately, video lag causes a sync issue that is especially psychologically damaging to humans, NYT had a good writeup: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/29/sunday-review/zoom-video-conference.html

I commend Canon in their efforts to develop workable webcam software, and while EOS Webcam is not there yet, it should be technically possible even with USB 2.0 on the M50 to get performance to an acceptable level, keep trying and good luck!
Highlighted
VIP

@inboulder wrote:
Just registered to add another data point.
Setup: brand-new M50 + macbook (usb-c / 3.0 capable) + EOS Webcam, video lag is anywhere between 250ms - 500ms

As of July 7th, EOS Webcam + M50 is un-useable in its current form for videoconferencing due to lag.

Unfortunately, video lag causes a sync issue that is especially psychologically damaging to humans, NYT had a good writeup: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/29/sunday-review/zoom-video-conference.html

I commend Canon in their efforts to develop workable webcam software, and while EOS Webcam is not there yet, it should be technically possible even with USB 2.0 on the M50 to get performance to an acceptable level, keep trying and good luck!

It is my understanding that the extent of the sound delay may depend on what type of microphone you are using.  USB microphones seem to be reported as being in better synch than the built-in microphone, or one that plugs into a mic input.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi all,

anyone knows if it does work with a G7X Mark 2?
The Mark 3 version seems not working... Smiley Sad

Highlighted
New Contributor

I have a Rebel T6s camera, I downloaded the software on my catalina mac and only the black screen appears, but the image is not seen. What I can do? or is there a version that is compatible with this camera model? Thank you.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Yes it does. Just install it and try it. Doesn’t hurt.
Highlighted
New Contributor

I mean that the mark 3 version does not work with the g7x mark 2