Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

Why is it that Canon 5d Mark III cameras don't get support like this? This is the 3rd time we've been left out. So, what's the deal? You say "We heard you, Mac fans!" but I don't think so.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

Update

Got it to work with MacOS Catalina and EOS SL3. A couple of USB Micro cables didn’t work, but others worked fine.

Zoom app was probably running in the background. Eventually deleted it completely and was able to run from Chrome.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

This is the best news so far!!!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Not sure if you were aiming that question to me or not, about the EOS Utility, but on my 16" mbp it isn't even installed since I never use it.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I commented once, but it disappeared. Or at least I can't find it anymore.

Canon EOS M50 + MacBook Pro 16 (Catalina)

I initially had a problem where the video would freeze, return to the black Beta Software screen, then go back to video on an endless 15-second loop. Discovered that if you don't keep the video screen open on the back, the camera or some part of it must restart or re-establish the usb connection. The green indicator light on the top of the camera goes out while the video is functioning, comes on just as the video freezes, then goes back off as it loops back to the black software screen, then to the video again. Ideally, I'd like to not have to have the screen open, just in case I'm running the camera on battery for some reason. But, for most uses, it's probably not a deal-breaker.

The bigger problem: Sync. The video lags behind the audio in pretty much every app I've tried. Depending on the application, it's either just noticeable (Teams is close) or significant (StreamYard is unusable). Others have suggested and requested that the utility should be able to take its sound from the camera, rather than the MacBook. It would be interesting to see if that resolves the sync. 

It's too bad, because the video looks great. Maybe the next version will work better with this camera/computer combo better.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Great! You support Mac that is awesome. Now can you support my Canon 5D Mark III?

Pretty please?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone tried a 5DM3? I thought I saw that some unsupported cameras were working fine on windows. I have a 5DM3 also. Maybe I’ll try it tomorrow.

What would be really cool is if canon updated lots of camera’s firmware and resolved the clean video issue for them. Then maybe a lot of cameras could be supported.

On the Elgato website they list supported cameras for their cam link and the 5DM3 says it is unsupported as the video shuts off after a period of time. I guess I’d need to establish if that’s really true also.

Also the 5DM4 autofocus on face is great. Wouldn’t have that on the M3.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Fyi, I got it working on my 16" mbp with Catalina and a 5d4.  Someone else's comment about the EOS utiility got me thinking.  I never installed it on my machine.  What if it adds some USB support.  I added the EOS utillity and made sure it could connect to the camera, and then quit it and made sure it didn't autostart.  Fired up Google Meetings and it worked with the 5d4 just fine.  Coincidence?  Not sure.  I did remove and reinstall the Webcam beta right before installing the EOS utility though.

Anyway, I'll test more, but that got me working.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Should this work with OBS? Canon 7DII MAC OS 10.15.4

Highlighted
New Contributor

Easy setup of the utility, for use with a 80D on MacOS Catalina. Not so easy to use it with my conferencing apps of choice (Zoom and Google Hangouts)

As OP mentioned, to use with Zoom you need to join the meeting via a browser. Zoom makes this frustratingly difficult, as they trigger browser multiple dialogs before finally showing a link to join via browser.

Using with Google Hangouts was more straightforward, as it is browser native. But I did see a lag initially in the video feed, which seems to have settled after a few trial an errors.

I'll be using this setup daily and report back on any quality or connectivity issues I observe.