Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

@Waddizzle wrote:
Which is why Canon clearly stated the Webcam Utility is for video conferencing. It replaces the camera that is built into most laptop with your own camera. All of this was clearly explained in the instructions. Read the very first post in each of the pinned threads. The Moderators expanded on the brief instructions that were posted on the download page.

On the first page of this thread (https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Now-Available-for-Mac-EOS-Webcam-Utility-Beta-Software-S...) ? It actually is not clearly stated that it's only for video conferencing. The words "conference" or "conferancing" don't appear on the page. And that's where most people started.

Beyond that, it's doesn't matter:  I. Get. Latency. No. Matter. What. I. Use. Teams. Zoom. Quicktime. Facebook. Streamyard. OBS. Livestream. It's all off. So, while I understand you're trying to be helpful, it's not helpful to be repeatedly told what Canon said when it still doesn't work satisfactorily for me, even for the purposes "Canon clearly stated."

I'm not angry about it. It's beta software. It's not going to be perfect, and it's not going to work with all cameras. I'm just saying that no actual use -- supported or not -- results in video that doesn't have a/v sync issues. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

@Newsdude wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:
Which is why Canon clearly stated the Webcam Utility is for video conferencing. It replaces the camera that is built into most laptop with your own camera. All of this was clearly explained in the instructions. Read the very first post in each of the pinned threads. The Moderators expanded on the brief instructions that were posted on the download page.

On the first page of this thread (https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Now-Available-for-Mac-EOS-Webcam-Utility-Beta-Software-S...) ? It actually is not clearly stated that it's only for video conferencing. The words "conference" or "conferancing" don't appear on the page. And that's where most people started.

Beyond that, it's doesn't matter:  I. Get. Latency. No. Matter. What. I. Use. Teams. Zoom. Quicktime. Facebook. Streamyard. OBS. Livestream. It's all off. So, while I understand you're trying to be helpful, it's not helpful to be repeatedly told what Canon said when it still doesn't work satisfactorily for me, even for the purposes "Canon clearly stated."

I'm not angry about it. It's beta software. It's not going to be perfect, and it's not going to work with all cameras. I'm just saying that no actual use -- supported or not -- results in video that doesn't have a/v sync issues. 

I could not agree with this more. I tried this utility with a couple of different cameras and like most people realised is was not really that fit for purpose. The USB method to get video from the camera, while attractive, is in fact a bit of a hack. Id argue all the camera's USB interfaces were not really designed to support this and are not fast enough to do anything like high resolution. What you end up with is around 500-600p with a good picture if you have a decent lense. It also registers as a "virtual webcam" so things like FaceTime will never work and other apps might need security hacks to work.

However the consecending replies from the "VIP's" are more annoying again. This one is trying to tutor you on "video conferencing" like that is a term which SPECIFICALLY excludes audio. That is ridiculous. I had the same issue on a differenet thread but the "VIP" used the term "web streaming" to also mean "obviiously" excluding audio.

Its not all unreasonable when canon use the term "webcam" that people associate that with both audio and video streaming. Id argue any consumer webcam would support both and a quick search on amazon would support that. So, "VIP's" how about stopping with the condescending tones, and admit that this is a work in progress and thank people for beta testing canons software.

All other people, if you want to leverage the superior image coming from your camera the best way is to buy a HDMI capture card which will get you full resolution, will register as a proper webcam, and will support audio. Anything else will, no doubt be fun and free, but will not use your camera to the full.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

@Newsdude wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Yes, I totally agree - this is right on from my experience so far. I can't really understand how anyone is using it in its current incarnation - unless they're getting much less latency than I am.

I mentioned this before, but I went ahead and ordered an audio capture device to grab the HDMI out of the camera. It would be great if the final release of Canon's Webcam Utility were able to improve on the current situation, though.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you for your post. Could you please let me know which cable worked? I am trying to connect with the same combination and no luck yet...

Highlighted
VIP

[ Edited ]

@Newsdude wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

On the first page of this thread (https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Now-Available-for-Mac-EOS-Webcam-Utility-Beta-Software-S...) ? It actually is not clearly stated that it's only for video conferencing.

The words "conference" or "conferancing" don't appear on the page. And that's where most people started.

I guess you missed it.  Many people are missing it, and other instructions.  The directions only speak about video conferencing apps, and the words do appear in the second to last paragraph in the post.

AC1551F8-E18A-4FE1-8ACA-61AE8FF42F65.jpeg

Also, the words appear in the brief instruction on the download page, which is where most people start..

261654F3-E6D2-4125-933B-799773AB56E2.jpeg

This is exactly what it says. 

"EOS Webcm Utility Beta is a software solution which unlocks webcam-like capabilities for select EOS interchangeable lens and Powershot cameras.  By connection your Canon camera to a computer with a USB cable, the camera will be available as a video source for many video conferencing applications"

The utility is designed to provide only video, not audio.  Its' intended use at this time is video conferencing. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

It doesn't say "only" anywhere. It says "many videoconferencing applications." "Many" and "Only" are two very different words. One is inclusive. One is exclusive. 

And one could assume that "many" might mean a service like, say StreamYard, which is pretty much like Zoom. It's essentially a video conference whose goal is to push that conference to a CDN as a web show. Or it might mean Facebook Live or YouTube Live (after all, they're both offering conferencing features). At this point, it's a distinction without a difference.

People on Canon's Facebook threads asked and discussed its use as a streaming tool, and nobody from Canon's social media team appears to have said "Oh, no, this is only for video conferencing." I'm not sure, from a technical perspective, what the difference might be. It's video in and video out. Except that video conferencing involves many, many video streams in and out.

And, still, the problem isn't with getting the signal to a service. It's with the fact that audio doesn't sync for some users and some cameras. The use-case doesn't really matter if the basic functionality isn't there, even when producing content locally without any external service involved.

Highlighted

@Newsdude wrote:

It doesn't say "only" anywhere. It says "many videoconferencing applications." "Many" and "Only" are two very different words. One is inclusive. One is exclusive. 

And one could assume that "many" might mean a service like, say StreamYard, which is pretty much like Zoom. It's essentially a video conference whose goal is to push that conference to a CDN as a web show. Or it might mean Facebook Live or YouTube Live (after all, they're both offering conferencing features). At this point, it's a distinction without a difference.

People on Canon's Facebook threads asked and discussed its use as a streaming tool, and nobody from Canon's social media team appears to have said "Oh, no, this is only for video conferencing." I'm not sure, from a technical perspective, what the difference might be. It's video in and video out. Except that video conferencing involves many, many video streams in and out.

And, still, the problem isn't with getting the signal to a service. It's with the fact that audio doesn't sync for some users and some cameras. The use-case doesn't really matter if the basic functionality isn't there, even when producing content locally without any external service involved.

Hi, Newsdude.

You've mentioned you're having quality issues, the community has offered what could be the issue, and has offered valid feedback. The official documentation backs up their feedback.

Visit canon.us/livestream, and read the items under "Which Option Is Best For You." 

"I want to use my Canon camera as a webcam for video conferencing" is listed as the first bullet point. It also states that if you intend on using your camera for "livestreaming," or "high resolution capability ― including up to 4K resolution and higher frame rates ― and better audio options," that a clean HDMI out option is the better choice, rather than the EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software. 

Clicking through that link, you'll see there is a specific PDF guide for the Mac software that details what has been tested so far, and what we know doesn't work so far.

That PDF guide can also be found HERE

We hope this is helpful.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi,

do you have any plans in a future GA versions, to support tools like webex, zoom etc., natively, using their app, instead of browser?

Thanks

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stephen wrote:

@Newsdude wrote:

Hi, Newsdude.

You've mentioned you're having quality issues, the community has offered what could be the issue, and has offered valid feedback. The official documentation backs up their feedback.

Visit canon.us/livestream, and read the items under "Which Option Is Best For You." 

"I want to use my Canon camera as a webcam for video conferencing" is listed as the first bullet point. It also states that if you intend on using your camera for "livestreaming," or "high resolution capability ― including up to 4K resolution and higher frame rates ― and better audio options," that a clean HDMI out option is the better choice, rather than the EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software. 

Clicking through that link, you'll see there is a specific PDF guide for the Mac software that details what has been tested so far, and what we know doesn't work so far.

That PDF guide can also be found HERE

We hope this is helpful.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks so much for your participation here! It's great to see Canon employees engaging directly with customers - it instills more confidence that you all are listening and offering help to those of us in the userbase.

I'm not @Newsdude, but I've been sympathetic to his struggles over the past couple pages of the thread.

I guess what I'm personally curious about is just getting some kind of official word from Canon that you all are aware of the latency issue, as well as the resulting audio sync issue, and whether or not those issues might be addressed in the final release of EOS Webcam Utility or not.

To clarify, I'm not trying to use my EOS-R (or my EOS-RP) to livestream concerts to social media or anything like that. I don't need to use 4k or anything. I don't need higher framerates (24fps is great for me). I just want to use my EOS-R as my webcam for various videoconferencing situations. I've got it working in several web-based applications (primarily Zoom, Google Hangouts, and Doxy.me) through Google Chrome. But the video latency and the out-of-sync audio (audio is well ahead of video in time) are rendering the Webcam Utility as unusable at this time in my opinion.

Is Canon aware of these issues? Can these issues be improved in the future? Is it a hardware issue (slow data coming out of the camera)? Or a driver issue? If it's a driver issue, do you all hope to find a solution in the future?

Thanks so much, Stephen! Again, very appreciative of your participation here.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I posted earlier - Zoom native client now works on MacOS. I'm using it right now.

Also - I do not have any significant audio delay. I've been asking on my conferences and we've done some "clap testing" and people seem to feel the sound and video are in sync and there isn't anything distracting.

My setup, in case it is setup specific:

Computer

MacBook Pro 13" 2018, Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM

Anker USB C Hub Adapter

Apple USB C 96W Power Adapter (the Anker USB C Hub draws 12W on its own)

MacOS Catalina 10.15.5

Microphone

Audio Technica AT2020 USB+ microphone

Camera

Canon 5D Mark IV

Video Mode:  FHD 59.94P IPM MOV

ISO800; F2.8; IS is off

Lens: Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM

Power: Bescor DRE6K LPE6 Coupler & AC Power Supply Kit (continuous power for the camera)

USB cable that came with the camera

Setup

The Anker Hub is plugged into the MacBook Pro via USB C. The camera USB-A and microphone USB-A are plugged into the Anker Hub. The power supply is plugged into the Anker Hub. In another USB C port on the Mac I have an LG 4K Ultrafine display plugged in as a second screen.

Conferencing

Zoom 5.1.1 native MacOS client

Zoom browser version (primarily used in Chrome browser)

Google Meet in Chrome browser