Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

[ Edited ]

@Newsdude wrote:

I commented once, but it disappeared. Or at least I can't find it anymore.

Canon EOS M50 + MacBook Pro 16 (Catalina)

I initially had a problem where the video would freeze, return to the black Beta Software screen, then go back to video on an endless 15-second loop. Discovered that if you don't keep the video screen open on the back, the camera or some part of it must restart or re-establish the usb connection. The green indicator light on the top of the camera goes out while the video is functioning, comes on just as the video freezes, then goes back off as it loops back to the black software screen, then to the video again. Ideally, I'd like to not have to have the screen open, just in case I'm running the camera on battery for some reason. But, for most uses, it's probably not a deal-breaker.

I am also having the same issue, exact setup.. M50 + MBP Catalina.. 

Interestingly as you mentioned, enabling the back LCD solved it.. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

I am using Eos Webcam Utility Beta software for mac with a 5dm4.  I teach photography  and we use Blackboard Collaborate Ultra as our zoom alternative.  When I start a meeting, it works and I am able to select the camera.  However, it doesn't last long and in a few minutes, the feed is no longer live and I can't get it to reconnect as a live feed.  Any suggestions?

Highlighted
New Contributor

I had the same problem. I unplugged the cable and once connected again I could see the image from the camera for a few seconds but then it disappears again. 

I was using the web based zoom and a 5d Mark IV

Highlighted
New Contributor

I had the same message, unplugged and plugged back and got image for about 5 seconds. Using a 5D Mark IV on a zoom web based app with Chrome browser. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

I know the guidance on this forum says not to, but I have had better results using the Zoom Client rather than Chrome.
Using macOS 10.15.6
Highlighted
New Contributor

Man the new update to the windows EOS webcam utility works amazing, but I generally do zoom calls on my mac so please please please push the update that includes the R6!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Are you able to record in Camtasia using your EOS Webcam? I can get the camera to display as an input source, but when I attempt to record it fails to initialize. It's definitely related to the EOS because when I switch to my native Mac webcam, Camtasia records as I would expect.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I just tested this using my 16" MacBook Pro with 5D IV and the native Zoom app (not the browser) and happy to report it works.

One observation:

I noticed that it "worked" regardless of whether the camera was in photo mode vs. video mode.  BUT... auto-focus would only follow me if the camera was in video mode.

This made me wonder if those who report the camera shuts down after a while are using the camera in photo mode and it is eventually going to sleep.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Highlighted
New Contributor

This has been awesome! I've been using it for all my zoom calls (It is now supported on desktop as well as online). 

I do have one huge issue at the moment though. It isn't supported in Microsoft Teams. I need this to be added as quickly as possible as I am a student and all my classes are run through Microsoft Teams. I would absolutely love to be able to use the same setup for all my meetings. Please work with Microsoft to add support to their Mac OS desktop app as quickly as possible. 

I have just spent 3 hours arranging my room and setup around using my camera as a webcam, which has been great, but not being supported by MS teams was absolutely devastating because I had read it was supported. Only for the Windows version. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

Canon 70D MacBook Pro

Hi, I have a Canon 70D and very happy to hear you had success with OBS video. Any tips on set up with MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.7 ?? What are the setting on the 70D when connecting to MacBook? TYVM!  /X3