Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

I only registered to say thanks, I just had my first Zoom meeting with my 70D (I know, not officially supported) with a 24mm 2.8 stm, and it worked perfectly, on a 2014 Macbook Pro, I'm really happy about this. I'd recently purchased a Logitech webcam as my macbook pro's webcam is pathetic, this is even better.

I'm also glad Canon comes up with smart solutions, I had not been using my DSLR in a few months becase of Covid, and my country is still in lockdown, this will make me think about more lenses and extra batteries; it's just a shame the AC chargers are so expensive.

Awesome Canon!!

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

You can get super cheap DC Couplers from
eBay and 9V battery USB replacements for microphones for cheap too.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

@jcavalie wrote:

I posted earlier - Zoom native client now works on MacOS. I'm using it right now.

Also - I do not have any significant audio delay. I've been asking on my conferences and we've done some "clap testing" and people seem to feel the sound and video are in sync and there isn't anything distracting.

My setup, in case it is setup specific:

Computer

MacBook Pro 13" 2018, Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM

Anker USB C Hub Adapter

Apple USB C 96W Power Adapter (the Anker USB C Hub draws 12W on its own)

MacOS Catalina 10.15.5

Microphone

Audio Technica AT2020 USB+ microphone

Camera

Canon 5D Mark IV

Video Mode:  FHD 59.94P IPM MOV

ISO800; F2.8; IS is off

Lens: Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM

Power: Bescor DRE6K LPE6 Coupler & AC Power Supply Kit (continuous power for the camera)

USB cable that came with the camera

Setup

The Anker Hub is plugged into the MacBook Pro via USB C. The camera USB-A and microphone USB-A are plugged into the Anker Hub. The power supply is plugged into the Anker Hub. In another USB C port on the Mac I have an LG 4K Ultrafine display plugged in as a second screen.

Conferencing

Zoom 5.1.1 native MacOS client

Zoom browser version (primarily used in Chrome browser)

Google Meet in Chrome browser

Good to know, @jcavalie - thanks for sharing.

Biggest differences between our systems:

• I'm on High Sierra on one machine and Mojave on another (so, older OSes for me)
  • I'm on an EOS-R (so, a newer camera than yours)
  • I'm on different machines (updated 5,1 Xeon Mac Pro for one, 2015 MBP for another).
  • I'm not using a USB hub - I'm going direct into the machines at USB 3.0/3.1.
  • You're using a USB mic, so audio is going through the USB bus - perhaps somehow the audio and video are syncing differently as a result? I've tried both the built-in microphone on my MBP and an external audio interface on my Mac Pro, both to no avail in terms of A/V sync issues. I have a USB audio interface I can try later today or tomorrow.

So I see a couple of possibilites (though anyone please point out more that I may be missing):

• Something about my hardware setup is inducing greater latency figures than jcavalie (and some others).
  • I am less tolerant of latency and out-of-sync A/V.

Both of the above are quite possible. I am an audio engineer and film editor, so I may be more sensitive to these issues than others.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

@senzen wrote:

this will make me think about more lenses and extra batteries; it's just a shame the AC chargers are so expensive.

Awesome Canon!!

There are some affordable "dummy" batteries out there for the LP-E6, which is what your 70d takes. Some of them for less than $30USD. Then you won't ever have to worry about batteries running out for webcam use.

Highlighted
New Contributor

When using the driver with Catalina 10.15.2, the camera only appears in Zoom and the other suggested tools. When using the driver in High Sierra 10.13.6 however, the camera driver appears as an option in every program that uses a camera such as photo booth, Microsoft Teams, etc. 

Any idea how to get the driver to appear in Catalina like it does with High Sierra? Thanks!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goose wrote:

When using the driver with Catalina 10.15.2, the camera only appears in Zoom and the other suggested tools. When using the driver in High Sierra 10.13.6 however, the camera driver appears as an option in every program that uses a camera such as photo booth, Microsoft Teams, etc. 

Any idea how to get the driver to appear in Catalina like it does with High Sierra? Thanks!

My understanding is that this is a known current limitation of the driver. My assumption is that they are working on it.

Highlighted
New Contributor

@vadalus wrote:
You can get super cheap DC Couplers from
eBay and 9V battery USB replacements for microphones for cheap too.

Thanks!

Highlighted
New Contributor

@MarkWmsOnFire wrote:

@senzen wrote:

this will make me think about more lenses and extra batteries; it's just a shame the AC chargers are so expensive.

Awesome Canon!!

There are some affordable "dummy" batteries out there for the LP-E6, which is what your 70d takes. Some of them for less than $30USD. Then you won't ever have to worry about batteries running out for webcam use.

Thanks!

Highlighted
New Contributor

Having connection troubles running the EOS Webcam Utility Beta on my MacBook Pro (MacOS Catalina 10.15.5) in OBS.

Using Canon EOS 90D, with an appropriate TetherTools usb cable.

I'm careful in making sure the EOS Utility is not running (and not launching when booting up).

Webcam Utility Beta screen does not show up after launching OBS.  OBS does not seem to see any connection.

When I launch "Google Meet", the Webcam Utility Beta screen will show up after several tries.  After a few more tries (powering the camera off, then back on), the connection IS made! 

Once the webcam utility beta is working in Google Meet, I then close Google Meet and immediately open OBS.

THEN... after SEVERAL attempts at powering the 90D off, then powering back on, a stable connection finally appears in OBS.

Yay!  However, this process often takes between 30 and 60 minutes -- that's a LOT OF FAILED ATTEMPTS before a lasting connection is made between my 90D and OBS using the webcam utility beta software.

HELP IS NEEDED!

Am I doing something wrong?  Why am I having such difficulty getting the webcam utility beta software to successfully connect my Canon EOS 90D with OBS on my MacBook Pro (running MacOS Catalina 10.15.5)?  How might I fix this frustrating problem?  I would be most grateful for any help offered.

Highlighted
New Contributor

The latest version of Zoom (5.1.1) made all the difference -- and now, the webcam utility beta seems to work flawlessly.