Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Unbearable latency?

@Waddizzle wrote:

Please read the first post in this thread CAREFULLY.  The intended use is video conferencing with web based apps, not live streaming to social media platforms, or recording videos with capture software.

The Beta is only a camera, no audio.  It is a substitute for the "webcam" built into most laptops.  Those cameras do not provide audio, just video.  Make sure you put your camera into movie mode for best results.  If your camera has a flip out screen, then flip that out to face you.

Everything that I am saying here are in the first post by the Moderator.  She posted brief instructions and suggestions on how to use the Webcam Utility Beta.

Hi @Waddizzle,

Thanks so much for your reply! I appreciate your help.

I did read the first post in this thread carefully (and the next 11 or so pages, as well), so I'm aware of the intended use. I'm not trying to use it for livestreaming to social media or for recording videos with capture software. I am, in fact, simply trying to use it as a webcam for videoconferencing. And at least with the way it's performing that task on my systems, it is not usable in its current state for me. There is simply too much lag between audio and picture.

I am also aware that webcams built into laptops are for video, not audio. Just as microphones built into laptops are for audio, not video.

My camera (EOS-R) is in video mode with the screen flipped out.

I have read (and re-read) the first post by the Moderator, and have achieved the result of getting video into the apps the Moderator mentions (as well as a couple of apps the Moderator does not mention).

My question to the thread here is whether others are experiencing a similar amount of latency between audio and video. If others are *not* experiencing much latency, I would like to figure out what's going on with my system and try to reduce the latency. If others *are* experiencing a similar amount of latency, I'm curious: Does Canon have any intention to address the problem? Or is it a limitation of the hardware? 

Thanks!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I finally got my M50 to work, and I agree the latency is too much for video conferencing. There's about a 250ms delay between audio and video, and that just won't work for meetings. it's just too distracting. I think the Webcam Utility is a fantastic idea, but right now, it is what it is. Beta. I quit messing around with it for now and ended up getting a decent webcam. I look forward to the release version.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

@MarkWmsOnFire: I get latency, too, with my M50, about exactly as you describe, whether I attempt to use it for one of the "intended" uses or any other. Even something as simple as recording with Quicktime results in out-of-sync audio.

If what @Waddizzle says is correct, there's really no easy fix for it. With the audio coming in on the MacBook's microphone, the processing delay of bringing the HDMI in over USB just leaves the video a split-second behind. I guess I could try to insert a software solution that adds delay to the audio, but that's more kludgery.

I appreciate what Canon has done here, but I wish they'd have brough both the video and the audio from the camera into the Mac with the utility.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

Absolutely - great post. The only (native) solutions I can imagine are either Canon writing a driver that reduces the latency considerably, or Canon incorporating on-camera audio into the USB stream. Even if they did the latter, though, it would be disorienting to have that much delay, IMO.

I just ordered a video capture device to see how it handles the situation.
Highlighted
VIP

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

@gabealbert wrote:
Yes, there is terrible lag and there does not appear to be any way to fix it.

That may be caused by a slow internet connection.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

To do this properly you just need to get a Camlink and capture the HDMI. The USB solution is a comparatively low resolution ‘hack’. I’ve tried both. The only issue you might run into with HDMI capture is getting a ‘clean’ output (ie with no menu items etc) different model cameras support this clean mode to differing degrees
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

@gabealbert wrote:
Yes, there is terrible lag and there does not appear to be any way to fix it.

I'm not sure if that's @gabealbert 's particular issue or not. In my case, I have a Gigabit connection (970Mbps download and 930Mbps upload), so that's definitely not what's going over here. I'm becoming increasingly convinced it's either the driver or a hardware throughput limitation...

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

@gabealbert wrote:

It has nothing to do with the internet. There are a/v sync issues even if we're recording locally to Quicktime or OBS or anything at all, really. I think it's simply a timing issue on the inputs, not the outputs to Teams or Zoom or a streaming service.

Clearly not everyone is having this problem. But it does seem like some of Canon's cameras are more prone to the problem.

Highlighted
VIP

*Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

[ Edited ]

@Newsdude wrote:

@MarkWmsOnFire: I get latency, too, with my M50, about exactly as you describe, whether I attempt to use it for one of the "intended" uses or any other. Even something as simple as recording with Quicktime results in out-of-sync audio.

If what @Waddizzle says is correct, there's really no easy fix for it. With the audio coming in on the MacBook's microphone, the processing delay of bringing the HDMI in over USB just leaves the video a split-second behind. I guess I could try to insert a software solution that adds delay to the audio, but that's more kludgery.

I appreciate what Canon has done here, but I wish they'd have brough both the video and the audio from the camera into the Mac with the utility.

Which is why Canon clearly stated the Webcam Utility is for video conferencing.  It replaces the camera that is built into most laptop with your own camera.  All of this was clearly explained in the instructions.  Read the very first post in each of the pinned threads.  The Moderators expanded on the brief instructions that were posted on the download page.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
New Contributor

It's not a network speed issue. Even with the preview in Teams and other apps, the video is slow. I don't know why people keep saying that's acceptable. In what world is your video being out of sync with your audio ok on a webcam. Even the cheapest webcam doesn't have that issue.