Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Runs Past the 30min Limit with No Problem on OBS - I just Recorded 36min Video!

Hi, well done on getting it working i have an 80d and i just get the black splash screen on everything. Any ideas?

Highlighted
VIP

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

[ Edited ]

@redraushan wrote:

Yes I am using Catalina, could you please provide the link to the documentation which have solution for zoom and skype?

If you downloaded the software from the CanonUSA Support page for your camera, then the documentation was right in front of you.  However, these same instructions are also posted in the very first post in this thread.  The initial post by the Canon Moderator kate_s tells you everything that you need to know.

There has been a lot of bad advice being given to people.  The worst of it has been advice on how to use apps like OBS.  Some people fail to notice the instructions say use to use the USB port, and have been trying to use the HDMI port thinking that they can get clean video out, which is not the case.

The Webcam Utility is intended for videoconferencing, where you would use the webcam built into most every laptop.  Instead of having to use the low resolution camera in your laptop for video confereencing.  The Wecam Utility Beta allows you to use your camera, instead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

[ Edited ]

Strange: I had it working fine in Teams on Catalina. No problems for over a week. Then it just suddenly stopped working. No OS, application or hardware changes.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Great news!

Looks like Zoom 5.1.1 on MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 now supports the Canon EOS Webcam Utility Beta in the native Zoom client. The Zoom release notes mentioned this:  Support for all virtual cameras - macOS - Zoom will now support all virtual cameras. We no longer require virtual cameras to be approved before they can be used with Zoom.

I gave it a try this morning and it worked like a champ. Thank you Canon and Zoom!

As this is a change to Zoom and notn the Canon driver, I don't think it makes any difference for any other native clients, but this is the particular one I've been hoping for.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Without it working on native Zoom, Skype, and WebEx, it's useless as a webcam.  When I bought this camera, It never occurred to me that it would work as a video source.  I'm deeply disappointed, it's a good enough camera that I'll keep it.  I just hope you folks get it working correctly on Mac OS native apps.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Not just on skype, zoom, webex there are many who use start meeting which is so much better than zoom. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

Some of us aren't ready to upgrade to catalina, it should work on mojave as well.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Unbearable latency?

I'm not sure if this has been addressed on the thread or not - I read a number of pages and didn't see anyone talking about it.

I've got my EOS-R working on two different Macs (one on Mojave and one on High Sierra) now. Well, I say "working." What I mean is that I'm getting video into the web apps that Canon says should work through Chrome. I can also get a video feed into Quicktime.

But in every case on both machines, the latency is simply unusable. The lag time between my EOS-R's screen and the feed on my computer is quite large. And the audio is totally out of sync with the video feed. This is regardles of framerate. With the way it's working on my system, it's unusable at the moment.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

If this is expected behavior, is Canon hoping to address it in a future update?

Thanks in advance!

-Mark

Highlighted
VIP

Re: Unbearable latency?

Please read the first post in this thread CAREFULLY.  The intended use is video conferencing with web based apps, not live streaming to social media platforms, or recording videos with capture software.

The Beta is only a camera, no audio.  It is a substitute for the "webcam" built into most laptops.  Those cameras do not provide audio, just video.  Make sure you put your camera into movie mode for best results.  If your camera has a flip out screen, then flip that out to face you.

Everything that I am saying here are in the first post by the Moderator.  She posted brief instructions and suggestions on how to use the Webcam Utility Beta.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
New Contributor

Yes, there is terrible lag and there does not appear to be any way to fix it.