Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

Guys

Reading the comments. This in no way replaces something like camlink. This is a nice cheap way of using an existing camera. If you’re serious about using the best of your camera you can’t use this. The resolution is limited to what is shown on the viewfinder. It will barely be 720p most likely substantially less.

From my experience using the Free cameralive and camtwist or OBS gives you a much more robust webcam which can be shared with multiple sources etc... and works with the usual conferencing apps...

It would be awesome if we could use the usb link to totally control the camera remotely.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: *Now Available for Mac* EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software: Share Your Feedback

Can the support for EOS 7D support included in the roadmap?

Highlighted
New Contributor

It is a pity that video cameras such as the Legria series are not included in this release.

I own a Legria HF R46 and I would like to make it work as a webcam without an external video card. 

Anyone has succeeded?

Thanks 

Highlighted
VIP

@vadalus wrote:
Guys

Reading the comments. This in no way replaces something like camlink. This is a nice cheap way of using an existing camera. If you’re serious about using the best of your camera you can’t use this. The resolution is limited to what is shown on the viewfinder. It will barely be 720p most likely substantially less.

From my experience using the Free cameralive and camtwist or OBS gives you a much more robust webcam which can be shared with multiple sources etc... and works with the usual conferencing apps...

It would be awesome if we could use the usb link to totally control the camera remotely.

This should probably read "limited to what is shown on the rear LCD screen."  Otherwise, what is being pointed out here is totally correct.  The resolution of the rear LCD is not very high.  

I would add my observation that the EOS Wecam Utility provides a "clean" video signal from cameras that otherwise would not, or could not, provide a clean video signal to an external source, which it does through the USB port on the cameras.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
New Contributor

Today I tried and failed to get my M50 to connect through OBS, on my 2019 Macbook Pro, and at first, failed miserably.  After scanning through these posts I finally got things to work, but it took more than a few settings....  Here is what I had to do...

In a post by ricmont07, he suggested this;

"- Add EOS Webcam Utility as your video capture device;

- Click on the device settings and deselect the "use preset" option;

- In the "frame rate" option, select 29.97 fps;

- Click OK.

After doing this the black screen disappeared and the image of my t7i appeared immediately.

If you still have problems change your camera to 30 fps too.

I hope it worked for some of you too.

I am using a Mac Air 2015 with Catalina 10.15.5

Canon Sl3 1920 x 1080 29.97 fpf

Also after unselecting presets on OBS falowing Samuel_Satler sugestion I also choose what you see below:

Resolution 1024x576 wihich is the only option and below that,

Frame rate: rational fpf values and after that,

Valid fpf ranges 29.97-29.97 below that,

Numerator: 30,000 below that, 

Denominator: 1001 and that show a menu under that inmeditely that wasn't there and i choose 

Input format: Auto (autoselect:ARGB -32ARGB

Color space: Auto (autoselect:Rec. 601 under that

Video Range: Full

And inmidiately OBS show camera input from Canon SL3"

This worked immediatly, BUT, as soon as I changed the connection to my original solution, it again stopped working.  I am/was routing the USB cord through a hub.  This all only worked throught the front USB port of my hub, AND I also found the set up only liked certain USB cords!

Finally, using a cord the set up liked, the front port of my hub, and the settings posted above, I got my M50 working just fine.  Here is the cord and hub I'm using....  Caldigit TS3 Plus is the hub and the extension cord is made by Akoada.  

Bottom line is, there can be otehr variables besides settings.  Finally, I'm up and running.  I hope this helps someoen....

Highlighted
New Contributor

Would be thrilled to use this.  Multiple attempts to download.  I only see the rtf and the unintaller.  Utility is recognized in dropdowns in zoom and obs but no picture and I can't find the utility to actuall open it.  Using EOS R.  Any help appreciated.

thanks!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi, so you're using OBS along with EOS Webcam Utility?

Highlighted
New Contributor

The install is a DRIVER, not an app!  Noting to find there!

On your Mac, run the installer and that is it!  As to getting it to work, that is another matter.  Follow my instructions in the originl post.  If that doesn't do it, try differant usb cords - high end, with no hubs or adapters....  I hope that helps....  BTW, after any changes, turn all off, and restart, and be sure to delete Canons EOS program!!!!  If it auto opens, this won't work no matter what you do!

Highlighted
New Contributor

The Webcam release isn't a utility, it's a driver!  Delete any Canon utilities, because if they auto open it will kill the whole thing and it will never work....

Highlighted
New Contributor

yes that was the hope.  i think some of the above comments may help. thanks for getting back