cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New camera won't connect with wifi

Alangr
Contributor

I have a new IXUS285HS and I want to connect wirelessly to my home network.

OK, I have installed the Canon software to 'prepare my computer (W10) for the camera connection'.

I then followed the guide on how to connect, found my network, entered the password and the screen showed my two networked computers;  Hurrah!

But short-lived.  When I try to connect to one of them the camera screen just says 'connecting' and shows the rotating 'waiting' logo.  Then, after a minute or two, it fails to connect.

What have I missed in all this?  The camera has clearly found and read devices on my network but will not connect to one of them.  I would be pleased ro know what I should be doing to make that last step work!

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Alangr wrote:

I have a new IXUS285HS and I want to connect wirelessly to my home network.

OK, I have installed the Canon software to 'prepare my computer (W10) for the camera connection'.

I then followed the guide on how to connect, found my network, entered the password and the screen showed my two networked computers;  Hurrah!

But short-lived.  When I try to connect to one of them the camera screen just says 'connecting' and shows the rotating 'waiting' logo.  Then, after a minute or two, it fails to connect.

What have I missed in all this?  The camera has clearly found and read devices on my network but will not connect to one of them.  I would be pleased ro know what I should be doing to make that last step work!

Thanks.

What is the model name of the camera?  You've posted the manufacturing model code.

Be aware that "wireless" and "Wi-Fi" does not necessarily mean, or equate, to being "networkable".  Read your product's description and manuals carefully.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think that the model name is ELPH360HS.

As for networking, the camera clearly does 'connect' with the netwok to some extent as it is able to see my computers.  But then it is not able to follow through.

Thanks for your help; I will keep trying/hoping!

@Alangr wrote:

I think that the model name is ELPH360HS.

As for networking, the camera clearly does 'connect' with the netwok to some extent as it is able to see my computers.  But then it is not able to follow through.

Thanks for your help; I will keep trying/hoping!

You should carefully read the product description and the instruction manual.  Your camera is NOT networkable.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-elph-360-hs-purple

The wireless features function more like Bluetooth, except at a much higher data bandwidth.  Data bandwidth is why it uses IP communications.  The camera is designed to be an alternative and an extnsion to your phone's camera.

Thanks for your reply and help.  I did not find it easy to get the model name but now have the manual for that as opposed to the IXUS285HS.  They are clearly different, ut maybe only by the front page with the names.  I will check.

Thanks again.

The model name of the camera is usually found on the front of the camera.

canon_1078c001_powershot_elph_360_hs_1452002007000_1210601.jpg

Many Canon cameras sold in foreign countries may have different model names compared to those sold in the United States.

So I gather!  My camera just has 'IXUS' (with no model number) where your picture has Power Shot and model..  I bought the camera in Greece and now realise that the camera itself has nothing on it  to identify what model it is.  The box and brief user guide do have IXUS 285 HS but do not mention Power Shot or any ELPH code.

Thanks again for your help.

Well some progress has been made.  After contact with Canon support and a umber of attempts at making a connection, I did manage to get the camera connected to my network.  I managed to transfer two files wirelessly  but it took ages - the transmission appeared to be done in bursts with long pauses in between.

I guess that I will be staying with a cable for picture downloads!

Thanks for your help.

Announcements