cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving DPP 4 to a new computer

in4m8n
Enthusiast

I'd like to find an easy way to copy all settings, layouts, lenses, etc to a new computer rather than trying to recreate all my environment and settings. Can this be done?

Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20

@in4m8n wrote:

I must have just imagined doing this for Word, Excel, Phootshop settings and plugins, Quicken, LightRoom - maybe a few others. All with exacty the desired results of configuring a programs settings to match my older computer without having to do it manually.

I was hoping DPP had either an "export settings" feature I could not find or a utility. It does not. I will make backups and then copy and paste DPP config files in USER appdata\local and appdata\roaming and see if I can save an hour or two. I give it a much better than 50/50 chance.

You did imagine it.  Don't be surprised when Windows 10 deletes some of it when it does an update because files have not been registered with the Windows 10 installer.  If you do not tell Windows 10 to ignore this stuff I am installing on my own, then it will eventually delete  it.  The days of copy and paste are long extinct.  Good Luck.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you so much Mr. VIP. Obviously you are the end all and be all of Windows knowledge. How could I be so foolish as not not hang on your every word.

You have no idea of what your are talking about.

Please do not reply. Not worth the bandwidth..

For the others, thanks for the help. There are a number of config files that may well make "cloning" the setup (layout, filters, lenses, info fields, etc) a bit easier than configuring DPP from scarcth.

I'm outta here....

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I'm not sure what you mean by layouts, but I am under the understanding that DPP saves the editing info with the images themselves. 

It is very easy to re-download all the DLO lens data from the Canon site. 

If you have created special recipe files you can copy them from where you saved them. 

You can test by installing DPP on your new computer and copying one or two files over. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'm not sure why the hostility to the OP.  Microsoft clearly dropped the ball here; laziness.  Perhaps also to some extent an issue with the Canon software either not allowing an import/export or perhaps not documenting things.

I'm a full-time software engineer, and one of the most important things to do is to manage user's data correctly.  This includes giving them a path when updating versions of OS and individual software titles.

The only scenario where a migration should not be an option is if the user failed to do backups (to include app preferences) and then they lost their data.

If I look on my Mac where it stores preferences, I still see some of the original Photoshop settings files from over 11 years ago.  Then newer folders for all the versions to the current CC one. These have come across during the many architecture changes over the years by Apple.   I've never had to re-create stuff.

Having said all that, I'll again point out a prior response of mine with some possible things to look for.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@rs-eos wrote:

I'm not sure why the hostility to the OP.  Microsoft clearly dropped the ball here; laziness.  Perhaps also to some extent an issue with the Canon software either not allowing an import/export or perhaps not documenting things.

I'm a full-time software engineer, and one of the most important things to do is to manage user's data correctly.  This includes giving them a path when updating versions of OS and individual software titles.

The only scenario where a migration should not be an option is if the user failed to do backups (to include app preferences) and then they lost their data.

If I look on my Mac where it stores preferences, I still see some of the original Photoshop settings files from over 11 years ago.  Then newer folders for all the versions to the current CC one. These have come across during the many architecture changes over the years by Apple.   I've never had to re-create stuff.

Having said all that, I'll again point out a prior response of mine with some possible things to look for.

What hostility?  I am not the one who got angry or hostile.  The days of copy and paste installation of apps are dead, and have been for well over a decade.  Some people can get angry when you told what they don't want to hear, "No, you can't do that."

Microsoft did not drop the ball by not providing a migration tool.  That was the whole point of Windows 10.  They wanted to break the cycle of migrating data because it would introduce viruses.  Microsoft wanted to clear the slate.

391DF1DE-B9FC-40C0-AF6A-5D200925039D.jpeg

No idea what this keeps getting inserted sideways, so I shrunk it down.  I used to work for Microsoft, and helped develop Windows 10 and the .NET Framework 3.5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
That’s fine if you want to leave.

But, if you are sure there are all those files, and I don’t have knowledge either way, then all you need to do is copy those files and paste them un your new configuration.

I do know that I upgraded my W7 machine to W10 using the MS upgrade process and DPP continued to work.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
That’s fine if you want to leave.

I do know that I upgraded my W7 machine to W10 using the MS upgrade process and DPP continued to work.

Were you running DPP4?  BTW, I am not aware of any migration tools from MS for Windows 10, and I helped write it.  

[EDIT]. I think some third parties sold migration tools, to fill in the apparent breach Microsoft created.

1. Yes DPP 4

2. I never used the term "migration". MS said upgrade and I clicked the button. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

1. Yes DPP 4

2. I never used the term "migration". MS said upgrade and I clicked the button. 

A migration tool is an application that allows the user to "migrate" applications and data from an old computer to a new one.  It is a very different scenario from upgrading the OS on the same platform.

[EDIT] It was my understanding that the OP wanted to simply copy all of the files and data associated with DPP from one computer to the next.  

Copying plug-ins and templates is not the same as copying an installation.  Plug-ins are installed by copying the files to a folder, and then telling the app, "Look over here."

coltEli
Apprentice

A bit of a necro, but I had this same problem when building a new pc. Not sure if it works from win 7 to 10, but it does work when transferring from 10 to 10 or from user to user on the same pc.

First step is to ensure that both computers are running the exact same version of DPP4 and EOS utility.

Then simply copy the following folders to the new computer in the same position.

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\CANON_INC

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Canon_Inc_IC

Lens data did not come across but all window positioning and preferences did.

Announcements