cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving DPP 4 to a new computer

in4m8n
Enthusiast

I'd like to find an easy way to copy all settings, layouts, lenses, etc to a new computer rather than trying to recreate all my environment and settings. Can this be done?

Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you using a Mac or PC?

If using a Mac, do look into Apple's Migration Assistant.  It has been solid for me during the last two computer moves (2012 Mac Pro to 2017 iMac Pro and then to a 2020 iMac Pro).  You'll want to choose the highest possible connection speed between your two Macs.  In my case for the most recent move, was able to use Thunderbolt 3 which allowed for massive transfer speeds and ultimately shortened the migration time.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Ahh sorry for not thinking to mention. Windows. Installed now on Win 7 moving to a new computer with Win 10. But thanks for the reply.

@in4m8n wrote:

Ahh sorry for not thinking to mention. Windows. Installed now on Win 7 moving to a new computer with Win 10. But thanks for the reply.

Migration is not possible when moving to Windows 10.  No migration was one of the major purposes of the new OS.  People had baggage going back as far as Windows 95, along with the viruses.  You must do a fresh install, and re-configure any apps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I actually do not agree with that. You can move settings files fo rmany programs (WORD Normal.dot, Photoshop plugins, LR settings for exampleP) pretty easitly not looking for a migrate app, but rather what files to copy over.

Yea, that's quite mean-spirited of Microsoft; penalizing their users.

Anyhow, about the only thing I can recommend is perhaps the User Manual of the software itself may outline where it stores its preferences files.

Or, maybe that is outlined in any support web site for the software itself.

Barring that, you'll have to unforunately poke around your files/folders to look for things containing "Canon" or perhaps "DPP".

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@in4m8n wrote:

I actually do not agree with that. You can move settings files fo rmany programs (WORD Normal.dot, Photoshop plugins, LR settings for exampleP) pretty easitly not looking for a migrate app, but rather what files to copy over.

You disagree?  Your opinion is irrelevant.  You're running Windows 7.  Operating systems have evolved.

Microsoft purposely did not release a migration tool for Windows 10 for the reasons I previously stated.  You have to start all over from scratch.  Welcome to Windows 10.  That's how it works.  There is no migration tool.  The end.

There is no migration tool, correct. You can reuse MANY configuration files, also correct.

The real end.

@in4m8n wrote:

There is no migration tool, correct. You can reuse MANY configuration files, also correct.

The real end.

Bad idea.  Windows 10 uses a completely different Virtual Machine architecture, which is WHY there is no migration tool.

I must have just imagined doing this for Word, Excel, Phootshop settings and plugins, Quicken, LightRoom - maybe a few others. All with exacty the desired results of configuring a programs settings to match my older computer without having to do it manually.

I was hoping DPP had either an "export settings" feature I could not find or a utility. It does not. I will make backups and then copy and paste DPP config files in USER appdata\local and appdata\roaming and see if I can save an hour or two. I give it a much better than 50/50 chance.

Announcements