Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map Utility missing

coolajami
Apprentice

Hi

I recently bought the T5i and I purchased as well the gps locator GP-E2

I have install the relevant software to my Macbook pro ( Snow Lion 10.8 edition) but it seems that I cannot find anywhere the map utility (if any) 

From what I read to the forum, the map utility was implemented to the ImageBrowser EX, however no such button exists to my application! So I Cannot see the geotagging of the photos even if in the browser shows that there are GPS data.

Unfortunately I cannot use the solution Disk so I had to donwload the software. I had to uninstall and reinstall a couple of times just in case I do sth wrong,but still no luck.

Do I miss a point here? i would really appreciated any help how I can make the GP-E2 to connect with the computer and download the Log files.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Jon
Contributor

The Map Utility is on the disc that came with the GP-E2, not on the T5i's disc. Is the GP-E2 disc the disc you can't use, and if so, what happens when you try to? Tried copying the disc (in another computer) contents to a flash drive and running from there?

Jon

Hi,

I have the same issue. Map utility button is missing and no map utility available on the windows start menus. I did a complete install of all the software that came with my camera (SL1). Is this a windows 10 issue?

Thanks

Andy

Do you also have the GP-E2? IIRC the SL-1 doesn't have built-in GPS. You'll need to connect the GP-E2 to the computer and install it's software to get Map Utility.

Jon

No I do not have the GP-E2. However, I do have a lot of photos which have geotags from iPhones, point and shoots etc. I was hoping that the canon software would replace the now obsolete Picasa software. It seems not.

Thank you for the help.

Regards

Andy

No, sorry - Map Utility only works with images tagged by Canon's GPS hardware (GP-E1, GP-E2, or a camera with GPS like the SX230, EOS 6D or EOS 7D2), whether tagged on capture or through post-processing against a Canon GPS-formatted track (from one of the devices I listed).

If you want to see your images that were geotagged through other devices, there are a number of other applications, like the free Geosetter

Jon

@Jon wrote:

The Map Utility is on the disc that came with the GP-E2, not on the T5i's disc. Is the GP-E2 disc the disc you can't use, and if so, what happens when you try to? Tried copying the disc (in another computer) contents to a flash drive and running from there?

The Map Utility seems to be no longer available for download since the web site was revised. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think it's now made available only when a supporting device is accessed via one or another of the Canon utilities. However, I agree that the new web site has cost us ready access to a great deal of information. It was downloadable back in 2013 when I originally posted to this thread.

Jon

Hi people.

I sorted the problem by copying the software from the CD (who's actually using CD anymore?) to a USB stick. It doesn't seem to get any updates however and I fear the day that it will not be supported from any new OS version. I don't understand how Canon doesn't give any attention to this accesory. I was expected at least ot be integrated to the new canon utility so I don't have to get concerned about the future. Time will show.

It checks for updates when you first start it. Mine just updated to version 1.7.1.3.

Jon
Announcements