Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map Utility missing

coolajami
Apprentice

Hi

I recently bought the T5i and I purchased as well the gps locator GP-E2

I have install the relevant software to my Macbook pro ( Snow Lion 10.8 edition) but it seems that I cannot find anywhere the map utility (if any) 

From what I read to the forum, the map utility was implemented to the ImageBrowser EX, however no such button exists to my application! So I Cannot see the geotagging of the photos even if in the browser shows that there are GPS data.

Unfortunately I cannot use the solution Disk so I had to donwload the software. I had to uninstall and reinstall a couple of times just in case I do sth wrong,but still no luck.

Do I miss a point here? i would really appreciated any help how I can make the GP-E2 to connect with the computer and download the Log files.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Jon
Contributor

The Map Utility is on the disc that came with the GP-E2, not on the T5i's disc. Is the GP-E2 disc the disc you can't use, and if so, what happens when you try to? Tried copying the disc (in another computer) contents to a flash drive and running from there?

Jon

Hi,

I have the same issue. Map utility button is missing and no map utility available on the windows start menus. I did a complete install of all the software that came with my camera (SL1). Is this a windows 10 issue?

Thanks

Andy

Do you also have the GP-E2? IIRC the SL-1 doesn't have built-in GPS. You'll need to connect the GP-E2 to the computer and install it's software to get Map Utility.

Jon

No I do not have the GP-E2. However, I do have a lot of photos which have geotags from iPhones, point and shoots etc. I was hoping that the canon software would replace the now obsolete Picasa software. It seems not.

Thank you for the help.

Regards

Andy

No, sorry - Map Utility only works with images tagged by Canon's GPS hardware (GP-E1, GP-E2, or a camera with GPS like the SX230, EOS 6D or EOS 7D2), whether tagged on capture or through post-processing against a Canon GPS-formatted track (from one of the devices I listed).

If you want to see your images that were geotagged through other devices, there are a number of other applications, like the free Geosetter

Jon

@Jon wrote:

The Map Utility is on the disc that came with the GP-E2, not on the T5i's disc. Is the GP-E2 disc the disc you can't use, and if so, what happens when you try to? Tried copying the disc (in another computer) contents to a flash drive and running from there?

The Map Utility seems to be no longer available for download since the web site was revised. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think it's now made available only when a supporting device is accessed via one or another of the Canon utilities. However, I agree that the new web site has cost us ready access to a great deal of information. It was downloadable back in 2013 when I originally posted to this thread.

Jon

Hi people.

I sorted the problem by copying the software from the CD (who's actually using CD anymore?) to a USB stick. It doesn't seem to get any updates however and I fear the day that it will not be supported from any new OS version. I don't understand how Canon doesn't give any attention to this accesory. I was expected at least ot be integrated to the new canon utility so I don't have to get concerned about the future. Time will show.

It checks for updates when you first start it. Mine just updated to version 1.7.1.3.

Jon
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements