cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightroom and CR2 Files

IH
Contributor

I have just downloaded lightroom and it cannot read my CR2 files downloaded from iPad. Any ideas to solve problem appreciated

16 REPLIES 16

Sounds like the files got corrupted somehow. Not sure what else to suggest. Maybe someone else will read the post and have a suggestion.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Dear colleagues

I hope i haven't wasted your time.  It seems that the Apple ipad does not record the Canon CR2 raw files.  That is eventually what Apple told me.  I thought the Raw files had been recorded and downloaded into the ipad because when i tried to load them onto the computer from the ipad (where i had saved them direct from the camera), the CR2 logo had appeared.  I was misled by that.  Only the logo appears to have been saved.

Hence all i have from my trip is JPEG files.  Fortunately the jpegs are large.

I used to use a epson P7000 to save images while travelling but that is out of date for more modern cameras.. Any suggestions for a good compact device to save and view images while travelling or do i just buy some more cards?

IH

"Any suggestions for a good compact device to save and view images while travelling or do i just buy some more cards?"

What I do when shooting a big job or traveling, even on vacation, I take a 17" laptop, Windoze in my case.  I take a couple portable external hard drives.  Plus I have about a dozen CF cards.  Now I realize this is probably overkill for just a vacation but when you are expected to produce, it is a good procedure.  Clients don't except, "Sorry I didn't get back with your photos.", very well.

So I just got into the habit of taking extra security measures.  If you have a few, 10 or so, smaller, memory cards you shoule be fine.  Say maybe one, or two, for each day?

Just don't delete anything untill you are back home.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@IH wrote:
I have Macbbok Pro. Doing the equivalent of what you suggest on the Mac It tells me that the file has not been imported "import error (9912)

I think your terse answers have us still a bit uncertain about what you're actually trying to do. But the basic problem seems to be that your computer setup (including Lightroom) can't read the CR2 files from your 5D2, though it can read those created by at least one other (earlier?) camera. If you were using a Windows computer running Windows 7 or an older OS, I'd suggest that you start by making sure you have the latest version of the Canon RAW Codec. If there's a similar upgrade available for the Mac, you should probably install it. Also make sure you're using a sufficiently recent version of Lightroom. CR2 files have changed over time, and the inability of older editors and/or operating systems to read newer files is not an uncommon problem.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The obivious course of action is to take some more photos with the 5D2 and have LR import tham directly from the camera.

Does that work?

It will tell you a lot and I am betting it will let you know the iPad is the issue.  I am still amazed you got RAW files on it in the first place and  then was able to view them.  Smiley Surprised   Somehow in that mix Apple changed them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I believe Apple support misled you. See this thread

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/iphoneandipodtouchapps/a/iPad-Photography.htm
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks I'lll try that
IH
Announcements