cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightroom 5.7.1 vs Digital Photo Professional 4

BrianMcKenna
Contributor

I viewed the same RAW image in both Lightroom 5.7.1 and DPP 4.  The image as viewed through LR had weak colors.  When I viewed the same image in DPP 4, the image had great colors, sharpness etc. more in line with my in camera settings?  Has anyone else had this happen?  My camera is a 7D mk2 with a EF 24-105 L lens.  Any information would be apprecitated.

15 REPLIES 15

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Several factors are at play here.

1. DPP knows exactly how the camera settings can affect the image and can create a RAW rendering that honors those settings. LightRoom may not be able to understand those settings. So for example, if you set the camera for VIVID, DPP understands that and processes the RAW accordingly. LightRoom might not be able to read that setting in the RAW file (it might only see a "93", for example) and ignores it.

2. The authors of DPP and Lightroom may just have different interpretations of what constitutes a "well developed" raw file.

The nice thing about RAW is that you are free to adjust things to get them the way you want them since you have all the data available to play with.

Inside of "Develop", go to Camera Settings.  Change "Adobe Standard" to "Camera Standard", or another "Camera" setting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Inside of "Develop", go to Camera Settings.  Change "Adobe Standard" to "Camera Standard", or another "Camera" setting.

Or to phrase what I believe is Waddizzle's point in slightly less Adobe-specific terms, when an image configured to be displayed in the sRGB color space is displayed in the Adobe RGB color space instead, the effect is as you describe.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Or to phrase what I believe is Waddizzle's point in slightly less Adobe-specific terms, when an image configured to be displayed in the sRGB color space is displayed in the Adobe RGB color space instead, the effect is as you describe.

Thanks, Bob.  I'm taking pictures in sRGB, so I change that setting inside of an Import Preset in LR6.

I went into "Develop", "Set Default Settings" it said, "Change Default setting for Lightroom and Camera Raw for negative files with the following properties" then it listed my Camera, Canon 7Dmk2.  I hit "Update to current settings"  This images still are washed out and look horrible comapared to DPP

@BrianMcKenna wrote:

I went into "Develop", "Set Default Settings" it said, "Change Default setting for Lightroom and Camera Raw for negative files with the following properties" then it listed my Camera, Canon 7Dmk2.  I hit "Update to current settings"  This images still are washed out and look horrible comapared to DPP

"Inside of "Develop", go to Camera Settings.  Change "Adobe Standard" to "Camera Standard", or another "Camera" setting." 

I was not referring to the drop down menus, not at all.  I was referring to the "Camera Settings" tab in the Develop module.  Look on the lower right.  It will be at the bottom, below "Basic", "Lens Correction", etc.

Thank you so much.  Changing the camera setting in Develop mode from Adobe Standard to Camera Standard made a HUGE difference in the appearance of the image.  Exactly what I was looking for.  My next question is, how do I make Camera Standard my Default Setting for LR.  It seems I have to go in and change it for each imagae separately.

Thanks

Brian

@BrianMcKenna wrote:

Thank you so much.  Changing the camera setting in Develop mode from Adobe Standard to Camera Standard made a HUGE difference in the appearance of the image.  Exactly what I was looking for.  My next question is, how do I make Camera Standard my Default Setting for LR.  It seems I have to go in and change it for each imagae separately.

Thanks

Brian

Lightroom is not a Canon product.  Support for LR is provided by Adobe. 

However, I use a User Preset during "Import" to apply settings to image as they are added to the Catalog.  The selection is visible above the "Import" and "Cancel" buttons.  You can apply a wide range of settings with Import presets.  These are the same User Presets that are used during "Export" operations.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@BrianMcKenna wrote:

Thanks

Brian

Lightroom is not a Canon product.  Support for LR is provided by Adobe. 

However, I use a User Preset during "Import" to apply settings to image as they are added to the Catalog.  The selection is visible above the "Import" and "Cancel" buttons.  You can apply a wide range of settings with Import presets.  These are the same User Presets that are used during "Export" operations.

If fixing it in LR turns out to be too cumbersome, you might get the same effect by changing the camera's color space from sRGB to Adobe RGB. The setting is in the second red menu on a 7D2.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements