cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenses not listed in the Lens Optimizer in Digital Photo Professional

ronpete
Contributor

As the topic title states my lenses are not listed in the Digital Lens Optimizer. I've placed the CD in the tray, and yet the program says it's connecting to the server, and when done, they are not found in the list. The lenses are:

EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II

EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

Why are they not listed? How do I get them?

DPP version 3.13.0.1

EOS 70D / EOS Rebel t4i / EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II / EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS II / Sigma 17-50 f2.8/ Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro/ Canon EF 100mm f2.8 macro/ Tamron 70-300mm / 430EX II Speedlite / Canon FS 300
Canon Pixma MG 3100 / Canon LiDE 2100
Adobe Lightroom 4, Canon DPP, Corel Paintshop Pro X4
19 REPLIES 19

@barry_hoffman wrote:

Of the lenses I have, the following are not supported by DPP 4 (However, they are supported "in camera" with EOS Utility 3)

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II USM 
Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 USM
Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 USM

I don't care if they are "old" lenses or not. Why have the correction profiles for "in camera" correction (when saving/converting to JPG) and not in DPP 4? They have the data, they could just port it over from the database used in EOS Utility 3.

These lens correction profiles bring new life to some of the old "film" lenses like the Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens. That lens has lots of distortion. However with in camera correction, it now produces good pictures.

I am not a professional photographer. I am a photography enthuisasts. I'll NEVER spend $1,000.00 or more for an "L" series lens (in fact I sold the Canon 24-105 f/4 L "kit lens that came with my EOS 5D. It was way too heavy, and the zoom on the low end was cramped (only 4mm movement between 24mm and 28mm). I like/use my Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM and Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM better.

Maybe my mistake is that I am using a program call Digital Photo Professional and I am not a professional. I noticed that that software leans heavily and supports the "L" series lenses.

I just this minute downloaded and installed the lens data for the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM in DPP 4.0.1.0 on one of my computers. If you're not finding it, you must not be looking in the right place.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

barry_hoffman,

Please understand that the Digital Lens Optimizer is not the same feature as Lens Aberration Correction.  The profiles for each lens are different and just because data is available for one of those, does not mean it is available for the other.  Certain lenses are just not compatible with the Digital Lens Optimization feature.

The Digital Lens Optimizer removes certain aberrations and deterioration of resolution that result from diffraction pheonmena.  These particular phenomena cannot be corrected with Lens Aberration Correction.

The list you see in DPP, also shown on page 70 of the DPP v4 manual, lists all of the lenses that are compatible with Digital Lens Optimization.

Lens Aberration Correction data is loaded directly into the camera by EOS Utility.  The list of lenses for this feature you will find is longer because more lenses are compatible with this feature.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

In Camera Lens Aberation Correction corrects for Periphereal Illumination and Chromatic Aberation. I'm not sure, and haven't seen any documentation that Distortion is corrected in camera.

Digital Lens Optimizer corrects for Peripherial Illumination, Chromatic Aberation, Color Blur, Distortion, and Sharpness (However, Sharpness can also be adjusted with the basic image adjustment tools). So, yes more data would be needed for DPP to do this corectly. It is just that, for the present time (and maybe forever), Canon choses not to. The information is out there! Ken Rockler, and others, have distortion numbers posted for many of the lenses that are not built in in DPP. Canon would have to pay him/them for his/their copyright. But it can be done, and the program could do it IF Canon would include the data for those lenses.

Digital Lens Optimizer DOES NOT, and no other programs, corect for degredation caused by diffraction. The artifacts of diffraction, light reflected off of, or the edges of, the diaphram or the film or digital image sensor (the digital sensor is much more reflective that film) and bounce around in the lens thus reducing contrast, sharpness, color saturation, etc. This is why lenses and filters made specifically for DSLRs and other Digital Cameras have higher quality coatings to prevent difraction, and cost much more.

I will say it again....Those older EF lenses that were originaly made for the old film EOS cameras can get a second life with the ablity to corect many of the lens deficencies with in camera or in post-processing.

It would be nice if Canon would still support their older products with their software. It is just data and code. We aren't asking them to support the hardware, just have the software support the older hardware when it can be done.

So NO, I can't accent your reply as the solution!

The solution is for Canon to include more of their "consumer" lenses lens data in DPP.

In general, my bigest problem with Canon is that support and products general consumers and amatures/advanced amatures keeps diminishing. There is a definate "push" for theit "L" series lenses. How many new consumer EF Lenses (Not EFs) have been introduced in the last 8 years? 

"The solution is for Canon to include more of their "consumer" lenses lens data in DPP."

A little hard, man !

The fact is the vast majority of the people that buy EF-S lenses have no clue what "lens correction" even is.  They don't shoot RAW and have never used DPP.  And the bread-n-butter for Canon is these consumers.  

Up until lately that is.  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The solution is for Canon to include more of their "consumer" lenses lens data in DPP."

A little hard, man !

The fact is the vast majority of the people that buy EF-S lenses have no clue what "lens correction" even is.  They don't shoot RAW and have never used DPP.  And the bread-n-butter for Canon is these consumers.  

Up until lately that is.  Smiley Wink

The "solution" is for the OP to climb down off his soapbox long enough to realize that a lot of what he's claimed in his posts isn't true. In most cases he hasn't found the lens info for DPP because he hasn't figured out how, not because it isn't there.

Bob

Good point.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Robertthe fat. You might need to get some reeding glasses and scroll back. I was not the OP (Original Poster), that was Ronpeate who started this thread on ‎06-13-2013 05:01 PM, more than over a year ago.

Your Comment "The "solution" is for the OP to climb down off his soapbox long enough to realize that a lot of what he's claimed in his posts isn't true. In most cases he hasn't found the lens info for DPP because he hasn't figured out how, not because it isn't there. Is typical of the type of responses people receive on internet forums. Don't offer any help...attack the person posting.

If a lot of what I have claimed in my post isn't true. Please try to be helpful and point out what exactly isn't true and an explaination of why it isn't true. Don't just try to dismiss me by basically stating that this guy doesn't know what he is talking about....which is what You did.

As far as not knowing where to find the lens data...did they put the data for the lenses that I listes some where other than;

Tool Palette, Lens Icon, Add or Remove Lens Data pop up box, where I found these lenses?

Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

If I don't know where to find the lens data, how was I able to find those from the very beginning?

PS My inclusion of the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM in my list was a cut and past error. When I cut and pasted  the list of my lenses and deleted the ones that I have the data for, I just missed and didn't delete the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM fron the list that I posted.

@RobertTheFat wrote:

The "solution" is for the OP to climb down off his soapbox long enough to realize that a lot of what he's claimed in his posts isn't true. In most cases he hasn't found the lens info for DPP because he hasn't figured out how, not because it isn't there.

Climb down off my soapbox? Really? Sorry you took my posting a question as me being on a soapbox. I simply asked a question. Also as was pointed out, my OP, was a about a year ago.

I since obtained other lenses, and DPP is not my primary conversion program. Yep I shoot RAW and only RAW, even though I'm not a world-class photographer as you must be.

Lastly I have figured out how, and did know how at the time.

EOS 70D / EOS Rebel t4i / EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II / EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS II / Sigma 17-50 f2.8/ Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro/ Canon EF 100mm f2.8 macro/ Tamron 70-300mm / 430EX II Speedlite / Canon FS 300
Canon Pixma MG 3100 / Canon LiDE 2100
Adobe Lightroom 4, Canon DPP, Corel Paintshop Pro X4

@ronpete wrote:

As the topic title states my lenses are not listed in the Digital Lens Optimizer. I've placed the CD in the tray, and yet the program says it's connecting to the server, and when done, they are not found in the list. The lenses are:

EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II

EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

Why are they not listed? How do I get them?

DPP version 3.13.0.1

Upgrade to 3.14.15.0, I suppose. They are certainly in that version's list. I don't have those lenses, but I downloaded the data, just to be sure.

Bob

Pete,

The current version of DPP for your cameras is 3.14.15. You should first upgrade to that. The updater is available on line at http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_rebel_...

Once you have it installed, start the program and go to the Edit Image Tab, then in the Tool Palette, click on the small lens icon (just under the name Tool Palette), then click on the circle with an arrow o the right of the words "Lens Data: No. That will open up a pop up window and connect to Canon's server. Check on all of the lenses that you have (and plan to get) and download them. You should be set to go.

Hope this helps. (better than "he doesn't know where to look")

Announcements