cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageBrowser EX - STRAIGHTEN A TILTED PICTURE?

pato
Contributor

Is there a way to straighten a picture I took where the image is ever so slightly tilted?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ScottyP
Authority
It is really simple in pretty much any post processing program. Straightening is associated with there Crop window in Lightroom. Do you have the Canon DPP program? I don't use it but I am sure it has a similar setup.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

If you aren't in a particular tool in DPP you won't see the effects until you convert & save the file to either JPEG or TIFF. If you simply save the file in DPP all you are doing is saving the processing instructions.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ScottyP
Authority
It is really simple in pretty much any post processing program. Straightening is associated with there Crop window in Lightroom. Do you have the Canon DPP program? I don't use it but I am sure it has a similar setup.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

It does, as do at least some of the shareware editors. Irfanview, for one.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes, I have the Canon DPP.  I opened it once but hadn't had the need for anything beyond the ImageBrowser EX yet.  Can you give me a rough idea of the DPP headings/tabs to go into to try and straighten the picture?

on Win press ALT + C or Tools -> Start Trimming/Angel Adjustment Tool
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

When I fixed the angle of my picture in DPP, I clicked OK.  Yet the picture still shows up as tilted. What step am I missing to saved the fixed version of this picture?

Nothing more, just hit OK when you're done the effect should appear on your photo. Then you can save it upon exit.
You can use other free software which is more intuitive and better, i.e Picasa.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

If you aren't in a particular tool in DPP you won't see the effects until you convert & save the file to either JPEG or TIFF. If you simply save the file in DPP all you are doing is saving the processing instructions.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

That's true of the "Stamp" tool, but it isn't true of the Trimming & Angle Adjustment tool. Application of the latter causes the corrected image to be displayed from then on. The corresponding thumbnail displays the original image with the rotation applied and a frame around the resulting cropped and rotated image. (Any rotation implies some cropping; the necessary minimum is automatically applied.) The corrections are non-destructive, however, and can be revised or removed by re-application of the tool.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you for your tutorial!  This was the final step I was missing.  My picture is level & beautiful!!!

Announcements