cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Transfer Utility "has stopped working"

Pedrof
Contributor

Hello,

It's been a week or so now that everytime I try to launch my "Image Transfer Utility", it crashes at launch and Windows gives me the message :

Canon Utilities Image Transfer Utility has stopped working

This means I can't transfer my pictures to my computer. My OS is Windows 7 64 bits. My camera is a PowerShot SX610 HS.

Could you please help me solve this issue ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Richard,

I found the solution myself.

The Utility has a bug that makes it crash whenever it tries to download pictures to a folder that doesn't exist.

In my case I had set a folder in drive "J" as import folder. After probably unplugging and plugging some HDDs the J drive no longer existed. So each time the Utility connected to the Internet, it tried to download my photos to a folder that it couldn't find, and, as a wrong, twisted result... crashed.

I didn't even have time to access the Utility options and change the import folder settings. So what did I do ? I deactivated my Internet connection. The Utility couldn't connect and no longer crashed, this way I could access its settings and change the import folder.

Then I reactivated my Internet connection and the Utility worked again properly.

This is clearly a Bug that needs fixing.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

newsense52
Rising Star

Plug in your camera card to the computer card reader.

You need to upgrade the windows OS.

Hi, do you mean the program became incompatible with Windows 7 in the last few weeks ?

Problem is I don't have a card reader... I know I could get one, but still I loved the transfer feature and would be glad to see it working again.

The camera card software is not compatible with windows 7 OS.

cap01.PNG

This screencapture says it is ?

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Pedrof,

Thanks for posting.

If you're still encountering this issue, since you were last able to send images from your camera:

1. Have you added any hardware to your computer?
    • We're mainly looking for digital imaging software such as (but not limited to) scanners, multifunction machines, web cams, etc.
  2. Have you added or updated any digital imaging software?
    • In this case, we're looking for software that may be associated with devices, like those mentioned above. Other software my be digital editors, which may have an image transfer function.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for answering my message.

I confirm I am still encoutering this issue.

I haven't added any hardware to my computer since I was last able to use Image Transfer Utility.

I haven't added or updated a digital imaging software either.

What shoud I try next ?

Hi Pedrof,

You're welcome.

In this case, since you have access to the Canon CameraWindow software, online, I recommend removing the "Canon CameraWindow" and "Image Transfer Utility".

When you reinstall the Canon CameraWindow, it will reinstall the Image Transfer Utility.

For steps required for this process (for the CameraWindow), please click here.  That's for an older version of CameraWindow.  The steps for removing the Image Transfer Utility will be similar.

If you encounter difficulty, please contact our technical support team. For contact options, please use this URL: http://Canon.us/ContactCF

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Richard,

I found the solution myself.

The Utility has a bug that makes it crash whenever it tries to download pictures to a folder that doesn't exist.

In my case I had set a folder in drive "J" as import folder. After probably unplugging and plugging some HDDs the J drive no longer existed. So each time the Utility connected to the Internet, it tried to download my photos to a folder that it couldn't find, and, as a wrong, twisted result... crashed.

I didn't even have time to access the Utility options and change the import folder settings. So what did I do ? I deactivated my Internet connection. The Utility couldn't connect and no longer crashed, this way I could access its settings and change the import folder.

Then I reactivated my Internet connection and the Utility worked again properly.

This is clearly a Bug that needs fixing.

Announcements