cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Browser Ex stopped working. Eos 650D. Tried uninstall and re-install Windows 7 64bit

myoud
Apprentice

Image Browser just stopped working.  I have completely uninstalled it and tried re-install both from download and from original disc but no joy.  Just stops at 40%. Can you help please.  I use Windows 7 64 bit.  Have tried 32 and 64 download.

20 REPLIES 20

dinub1
Contributor

I have the same issue... it stopped suddenly working under Windows 7 64 bit, while it works perfectly under Windows 8.1 pro.
I un installed and re-installed several times. Same things. Its at version 1.5.0.6. It start loading, the percentage appears, at approx 80% "stopped working due to an error" and boom. I even updated my java. Same thing.
Says it must have MS Silvelright installed. I had it installed before. Updated to the last version (ver 5). All runs fine except Image BrowserEX. Thanks for any help.

Hello dinub1,

It is recommend that you try to uninstall completely from your computer, empty the recycle bin, reboot and then attempt the installation again.  You should download the complete utility from our web site, in the form of EOS Digital Solution Disk v. 29.1A.  Other updates can be downloaded from the same location.  If the issue persists, you may want to check the version of the OS you are using and see if everything is up to date.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello Tim,

It is with a EOS 6D and not with an EOS 650D. But that is not the issue. I tried everything. I uninstalled using Revo uninstaller which removes all the traces from registry and from the disc. Reinstalled and unistalled multiple time, even usint the Canon Image browser EX uninstall ultility. I also downloaded digital disk ver 29.1A (was the last one... mayebe just 29.1, without an A)). Mine which came with the camera is 27.0. I unistalled. Reinstalled using 29.1. Updated all utilities. to ver 29.1. Same thing it ends with an error while it loads around 80%. Now .. this is not an issue with resources or with processor speed. I am quite a geek with computers,  and I cannot understand what is happening. Only this program. The rest works flawlessly. The OS is a Windows 7 home premium 64 bit SP1...it is up-to-date. I cannot understand what could have changed since the last time it ran fine. I am runnning multi OS on different discs. I am also periodically backing up all partitions and discs using Acronis software.

On Win 8.1 pro 64 bit it works perfectly.. but I still have most of my software installed under Windows 7.
Upon installation  and within 2 months since, it worked perfectly. Suddenly it does not work anymore.
Note this program replaces the Canon Zoom Browser EX which still works correctly and under the same OS. I uninstalled the Zoom Browser EX program, hoping maybe there is a conflict. No help. 
There is something. I don't know what that is. Thank you.

@Tim wrote:

Hello dinub1,

It is recommend that you try to uninstall completely from your computer, empty the recycle bin, reboot and then attempt the installation again.  You should download the complete utility from our web site, in the form of EOS Digital Solution Disk v. 29.1A.  Other updates can be downloaded from the same location.  If the issue persists, you may want to check the version of the OS you are using and see if everything is up to date.

@dinub1 wrote:

Hello Tim,

It is with a EOS 6D and not with an EOS 650D. But that is not the issue. I tried everything. I uninstalled using Revo uninstaller which removes all the traces from registry and from the disc. Reinstalled and unistalled multiple time, even usint the Canon Image browser EX uninstall ultility. I also downloaded digital disk ver 29.1A (was the last one... mayebe just 29.1, without an A)). Mine which came with the camera is 27.0. I unistalled. Reinstalled using 29.1. Updated all utilities. to ver 29.1. Same thing it ends with an error while it loads around 80%. Now .. this is not an issue with resources or with processor speed. I am quite a geek with computers,  and I cannot understand what is happening. Only this program. The rest works flawlessly. The OS is a Windows 7 home premium 64 bit SP1...it is up-to-date. I cannot understand what could have changed since the last time it ran fine. I am runnning multi OS on different discs. I am also periodically backing up all partitions and discs using Acronis software.

On Win 8.1 pro 64 bit it works perfectly.. but I still have most of my software installed under Windows 7.
Upon installation  and within 2 months since, it worked perfectly. Suddenly it does not work anymore.
Note this program replaces the Canon Zoom Browser EX which still works correctly and under the same OS. I uninstalled the Zoom Browser EX program, hoping maybe there is a conflict. No help. 

@Tim wrote:

Hello dinub1,

I haven't used Imagebrowser, but I have tried to install it once or twice. IIRC, it failed because I didn't have a camera with me. Apparently it wants to know what camera it's installing for; and given that, it must be communicating with the camera somehow. Have you done anything to the camera since the last time the program installed and ran correctly? If, for example, you installed Magic Lantern or compromised the camera's firmware in some other manner, it could be a game changer. Can you try installing it with a different camera, just for a sanity check? 

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@dinub1 wrote:

Hello Tim,

@Tim wrote:

Hello dinub1,

I haven't used Imagebrowser, but I have tried to install it once or twice. IIRC, it failed because I didn't have a camera with me. Apparently it wants to know what camera it's installing for; and given that, it must be communicating with the camera somehow. Have you done anything to the camera since the last time the program installed and ran correctly? If, for example, you installed Magic Lantern or compromised the camera's firmware in some other manner, it could be a game changer. Can you try installing it with a different camera, just for a sanity check? 

No Tim or Robert.. here is what it does. When you download the software package from Canon, if you don't have the camera connected to the PC.. all it does it asks you for the camera body serial number. Once you provide it, and program finds it's valid, then it allows you to download the package and all is good... It is not camera dependent.. but it may be S/N dependent... without a camera connected or providing the correct serial number, Canon wont allow you to download the package...But I have the original disc coming with the camera...  that is not it... Sorry... Thank you for your time anyway...

I also have a Rebel 3Ti... so what? That camera uses Zoom Browser EX and not image Browser EX, which is a new software.
It does not work on Win 7 suddenly, though it works fine on Windows 8.1 Pro...
I never have such software problem so far with any Canon Utility. They are generally very reliable...

@dinub1 wrote:
I also have a Rebel 3Ti... so what? That camera uses Zoom Browser EX and not image Browser EX, which is a new software.
It does not work on Win 7 suddenly, though it works fine on Windows 8.1 Pro...
I never have such software problem so far with any Canon Utility. They are generally very reliable...

Now you've got me really confused. Are you saying that Zoombrowser exhibits the same behavior as Imagebrowser, i.e. runs under Windows 8.1 but not under Windows 7? That would certainly point to a recent Windows 7 update causing an incompatibility. But that whole scenario is strongly counterintuitive. I could swear that one reason users were herded onto the Imagebrowser bandwagon was that Zoombrowser wasn't compatible with Windows 8.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

This post is in reply to TIM (product Expert) but involves many contributors in this forum, as myoud, dinub 1, RobertTheFact, pbkessler, lernst10, ICUTWO, Mike.
I was a happy user of ZoomBrowser EX, mainly for small home movies editing; particularly its subtask MovieEdit Task functions, limited but essential, allow to edit, cut, combine multiple movies, add text and transitions quickly and easily.
The real limitation is by supported movies (ASF-AVI-MOV) while the evolution of cameras has led to the widespread presence of other video formats (eg file.MP4).
Hoping to update the SW, I installed ImageBrowser EX who officially replaced the other.
Result: jumping from the frying pan into the fire .... ImageBrowser seems to be the worst SW I can imagine!
After many adventures to be able to execute and prove it (stopped working due to an error), I found the too many deficiencies that I list here in the hope that the developers make the necessary, due, work and arrange necessary implementations.
Before all, I have to say I am working in Windows 8.1 x64 and both old ZoomBrowther EX that new ImageBrowther EX live together without any problem.

About ImageBrowther EX:

1) despite having installed and upgraded last level (1.5.2.8), at each launch of the program, I am requested to connect the device and update the SW, unnecessarily (only, this does not happen in the absence of internet connection).

2) disappointing implementation of supported movies (AVI-MOV-MP4), and here we highlight the worst bug lamented by many users: if the folder where the files are searched contains different and not supported formats the pgm commits 'suicide' ("stopped working due to an error") without any warning!
This is an absurd mode and a unique case in the world of SW. The same MovieEdit Task in ZoomBrowser simply and correctly ignores the presence or displays a warning ('not valid or not supported, will not be added to the storyboard', highlighting the interested filename).
Some codecs that are not supported (personally I verified) and cause the cancellation are:
MOV Motion JPEG Video (jpeg)   and this is the format saved by ZoomBrowser
AVI Motion JPEG Video (mjpg)
AVI H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (H264)

3) another serious limitation is the lack of output formats: ZoomBrowther creates MOV and AVI also, but ImageBrowther MOV only.
Both ZoomBrowther that ImageBrowther use MovieEdit Task for editing movies and creating output, but ...
- a movie edited with ZoomBrowser and there saved by selecting "automatic selection" (I have many) creates an AVI output file codec Motion JPEG video (MJPG) that, if present in the selected folder, cause the ImageBrowser self-canceling.
This means that all previous video processed and saved with ZoomBrowser can not be reused as input.
- ImageBrowser does not support the output AVI format (the only one most commonly shared), we can only get MOV outputs!
Moreover, while having as input a video with resolution 1920x1080, selecting "automatic selection", the output is saved with a reduced resolution of 1280x720 !

4) a further anomaly is the absence of a traditional window for selecting the folder in which to explore the input files; you must click on the icon at the top-right (gear symbol) and then delete/add preferred folders.

Anyone who wants to make observations and/or comments are welcome.

Hi,

Thank you for the post. So it crashes under Windows 7 64 because it sees different file formats and unsuported? I am not sure that is the case.

But the main question hasn't been anwered. Why does it crash only under Windows 7.. Under windows 8.1 (I have as well), it works very well, and also with Zoom Browser EX. I have mixed video with jpg files under Win 8.1 and it does not crash. This does not seem reasonable.

I beleive,  in my case,  it happened after a certain Windows 7 update, but I couldnt identify which one it is. I am not going to reinstall Windows 7 and all applications... 

Therefore there is so far no solution to why Image Browser EX crashes under Windows 7.... BTW last update of the program did not fix it either....

I actually love the Image Browser EX  interface... to me is more catching the eye than Zoom Browser EX...  so in lack of any solution, I am using zoon Browser EX to download pics and videos under Windows 7 and Image Browser EX under Win 8.1.

I would also like to mention that I do not use the video editing capabilities of the programs. Just images.  Whn I need to correct images I use mainly Adobe Photoshop, though occasional image corrections can be handled quite well,  under Zoom Browswer EX.
Thanks.

Announcements