cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I take that back - Quick ! Get DPP version 4.10

mangurian
Enthusiast

The second time I used 4.10, it was no better that earlier version.  Still sucks to use.

disregard the following:

No more delays and stutter for me.  Smooth as silk.   Let us know if it works for you too.

I hope it keeps up as DPP has great capabilities.

p.s.  I completely uninstalled the earlier version first.

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is what it got you with 4.1.5

• Faster, real-time adjustments.
  • Improved RAW file workflow.
  • Better, more approachable user interfaces.
  • Compatible with 64-bit native environments.
  • Colour adjustments for specific colour gamuts.
  • Improved highlight recovery provides expanded tonality.
  • Improved shadow recovery function.
  • Support for movie playback.
  • Auto Lighting Optimizer can be applied to JPEG images.
  • Better integration with EOS Utility.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Maybe not so fast switching to 4.1.  I upgraded to it yesterday and generally like it but it has some issues.

This morning I was doing some editing and got an out of memory error and DPP shut down.  This is on a dual processor HP Z series workstation with 128 GB of memory per processor and it definitely wasn't out of memory.

I have noticed the following 4.1 issues thus far:

1.  Much slower performance than 4.09.2 when using lens correction on an image shot with higher ISO.  The little "working wheel" spins for up to 15 seconds while with 4.09.2 it was maybe 2 to 3 seconds doing the same process.

2.  Much higher processor loading but with little or no perceptible increase in speed for typical tasks.  Processor loading often spikes to the 25-30% range, not really high but typically higher than it was previously and this is on a high performance dual processor system.  If it is this resource hungry on a typical single CPU system it could be a real pain.

3.  Much higher memory usage but still just a fraction of system resources for this PC so no valid reason for an out of memory issue.

I suspect other glitches will emerge.  I am not quite ready to roll back to the previous version yet but if more stuff shows up I will until the next update.

This is running on a HP Z820 workstation running Win 10 64 pro edition with twin 8 core Xeon processors, 256 GB of ram, SSD dedicated to DPP, and a high speed graphics card with the CUDA cores enabled for DPP.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Did you update with the previous version already installed or did you uninstalled 4.1 after uninstalling a previous release and performing a system reboot ?

I noticed that the first procedure ended with higher ram usage and frequently a crashing program while opening raw; on the laptop I tried the second method and as far as now I did not see a crash.

I always remove the old program before installing the new version HOWEVER there is no guarantee that Windows truly removes everything through this process and I know that there have been problems with other programs due to the prior install not being completely removed.  There are some third party apps that are supposed to be better at this but I have never tried one.

I am currently running 4.10.2.1 which is the latest version with a clean install and it is running very well and is quite responsive with no crashes or other problems in several days of very heavy usage.  It may have a slight "memory leak" issue still and is up to 4.2 gigs of RAM in use after several hours of operation this morning according to Windows task manager but I am running it on a machine loaded with RAM so total system RAM utilization is under 10% running DPP plus a browser and several other programs.  If running on a machine with less RAM, I suspect you will get better performance if you exit and restart DPP several times during a long session.  Unlike some previous versions of DPP, exiting returns all RAM to the system immediately and it starts with low utilization.

So at this point I am completely satisfied with DPP.  Using quick check to view and mark up RAW files is very fast as is bringing the file into the edit window, doing any needed transformations, and converting it to a JPG.  Some previous versions made using quick check painful due to its slow performance.

DPP still needs a fairly well equipped PC to provide good performance.  I am using it on a dual processor workstation with the program on a SSD and image files on another SSD and using a Nvidia RTX 2060 graphics card.  I suspect I wouldn't be as happy running it on my Asus I7 laptop.  If Canon would port DPP to Linux I would be even happier with it, I run the workstation dual boot with Red Hat Linux installed in addition to Win 10 pro and Linux is a far more svelte OS without all of the annoying garbage and problems MS has added since Win 7.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements