cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need an RGB->CMYK converter.

superimposed
Contributor
I generally use an image editor called GIMP. It's free but it does not include a CMYK converter. My camera is a Canon Rebel T-3i which does not have a CMYK setting as far as I can see. I am a musician and I am using my own photography for my background images in the lyric book of my new album. I will send it to print through a professional printer company.. They require the image is in CMYK color. I need a program that will allow me to convert to and adjust CMYK images so I can try to retain a close approximation to the original RGB image colors by comparison. Thank You, Bruce Davis
Music, Photography, Art, Everything Beautiful
8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Then you need PhotoShop.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Then you need PhotoShop.

Or a different print service. The one I use has no problem accepting high-resolution JPEGs in sRGB or Adobe RGB. (I forget which one they prefer, but I'm pretty sure they accept either.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 which does not have CMYK compatability. I can't afford the full blown Photoshop. There are some sites online that allow you to upload and they convert your image for you but I'm concerned about copyright issues. @RobertTheFat, Does your print service print CDs, booklets and trat inlays with cases and cellophane wrap?

@superimposed wrote:
@I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 which does not have CMYK compatability. I can't afford the full blown Photoshop. There are some sites online that allow you to upload and they convert your image for you but I'm concerned about copyright issues. @RobertTheFat, Does your print service print CDs, booklets and trat inlays with cases and cellophane wrap?

I don't know. They're a full-service shop that even does cstom film processing, but I've only had them print pictures for framing. But it stands to reason that the more services a shop provides, the more likely they'd be to handle JPEGs. You shouldn't have to buy expensive software just to do it for them.

Are you located in an out of the way place? From what you've indicated you do, I'd expect you to be in a good-sized city.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Peter
Authority
Authority

Tried Separate+? It is included in GIMP 2.9.3 from Partha.

If you own the image there shouldn't be any copyright issues using an online converter.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

If you own the image there shouldn't be any copyright issues using an online converter.

I just don't feel comfortable having copies of my photos and artwork on some random server. For instance, if I send my art to the disc printer and somehow I find that those images were diseminated without my consent, I would know the source of the breach. If I have the images posted on some anonymous server and the disc printers then I don't have a clear link, I'm probably thinking too far into this but I want to be responsible with my HQ photos. They are different than cutting down the size and quality to share on social media or anything for fun. Cheers!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I understand now. There is software you can download if you Google RGB to CMYK converter. Some were free.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements