cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am new to DPP4. Why do some features not work when I try to edit my image? Gamma is blank?

Hilda1
Contributor

I have tried to edit the image and Gamma adjustment is blank, cannot adjust, also white balance does not work. Do I need to download a helper app?

9 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Probably so from the other comments I see. I really didn't know the difference and I will check to be sure.  The DPP4 will probably allow all functions to work if RAW images are used, only some will work if using JPEG. I have a lot to learn but do appreciate this advice so I can move forward and try more new things. Thank you!

View solution in original post

Hi Hilda. You are correct about your conclusion of DPP4 features. 

Unless you need immediate images for email or posting I would suggest you always shoot RAW. Nowadays any photo software you would use seamlessly imports RAW and converts it for editing. RAW gives you much better editing flexibility for adjustments. 

If you need JPEGs you can set the camera to RAW+JPEG and get both. 

You wont be able to use Auto mode, but Program mode is the same except it allows you to make adjustments and make use of the camera features. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you very much for your help. I did not know all this and now will learn a lot more. It may be the best thing ever for me as I need to venture out from automatic.  I do appreicate all the help I have received, so many great people that care. This is refreshing. Thanks again.

You may find yourself in a bit of a "Catch 22". DPP4 will edit only CR2 RAW files. I think your camera may be old enough that it produces CRW RAW files, in which case you'd need DPP3, Canon's previous RAW editing software. But DPP3 was only produced as 32 bit software and Win10 is a 64 bit system. I was able to install DPP3 on my Win7 64 bit machine but I'm not sure it's compatible up to Win10. DPP4 is 64 bit.

It's surely worth a try. If you don't still have the install disk that came with the camera you can still download DPP3 from the Canon website. Or you can install something like Lightroom or Corel PaintShop which will edit CRW, CR2 and a bunch of different RAW formats. For a price...

@BurnUnit wrote:

You may find yourself in a bit of a "Catch 22". DPP4 will edit only CR2 RAW files. I think your camera may be old enough that it produces CRW RAW files, in which case you'd need DPP3, Canon's previous RAW editing software. But DPP3 was only produced as 32 bit software and Win10 is a 64 bit system. I was able to install DPP3 on my Win7 64 bit machine but I'm not sure it's compatible up to Win10. DPP4 is 64 bit.

It's surely worth a try. If you don't still have the install disk that came with the camera you can still download DPP3 from the Canon website. Or you can install something like Lightroom or Corel PaintShop which will edit CRW, CR2 and a bunch of different RAW formats. For a price...

I have DPP3 installed on two 64-bit Windows 10 computers. And the XS is on DPP4's "supported cameras" list.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have checked the manual and reference to RAW images are shown as CR2.   I have adjusted the setting to RAW + Large/Fine. I did not see JPG as an option so hope this is correct.  Thank you for all the information.

I usually shoot just RAW, and generate a JPEG after i download to my computer.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I usually shoot just RAW, and generate a JPEG after i download to my computer"

It depends on an individual's workflow/needs.

If a person wants to edit and post images quickly to Facebook or email to friends via an iPad then they will need JPEGs.

If all work is done via computer than raw only wil work.

As moree and more iPad apps allow raw editing the need for JPEGs decreases.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I have DPP3 installed on two 64-bit Windows 10 computers. And the XS is on DPP4's "supported cameras" list.

Thanks Bob... I should have researched that a bit more. I just had a flashback to an old 300D that I picked up and that was the reason I had to reinstall DPP3 on Win7.

18 REPLIES 18

@Hilda1 wrote:

I have tried to edit the image and Gamma adjustment is blank, cannot adjust, also white balance does not work. Do I need to download a helper app?

What kind of file are you trying to edit? Some features apply only to RAW (.CR2) files.

Bob

I guess what I thought were raw images may not be. Not sure. I have mostly taken photos in automatic mode. I used ImageBrowser to edit those and made new folders with the edited photos. When I switched to Windows 10 I saw that ImageBrowser was not supported by 10 I downloaded DPP4. So, maybe that helps you more in telling me what raw is, thanks

@Hilda1 wrote:
I guess what I thought were raw images may not be. Not sure. I have mostly taken photos in automatic mode. I used ImageBrowser to edit those and made new folders with the edited photos. When I switched to Windows 10 I saw that ImageBrowser was not supported by 10 I downloaded DPP4. So, maybe that helps you more in telling me what raw is, thanks

Okay, no problem.  Tell us what camera you are using, and the gurus will set you on the right path.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am using a Canon EOS Rebel xs, bought it in 2009.

Check the image info on the camera LCD. It will say RAW or JPEG.  If you didn't deliberately set RAW it is very unlikely that they are RAW. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I wil check later today, you are most likely correct. The DPP4 editing program does have features for Raw and JPEG but my guess is that only Raw photos will have all the features available in the program.  I was able to use the stamp feature and crop.  You gave me something to look into and I appreciate that.  I will have to wait until later today to look into this, busy Monday.  Thanks again.

@Hilda1 wrote:

The file type of a RAW image is .CR2; that of a JPEG is .JPG or .JPEG. Which it is will be obvious from the file name, unless you've changed it. I believe that on any Canon DSLR, even as far back as the XS, you can't shoot RAW images in fully automatic mode.

Bob

Probably so from the other comments I see. I really didn't know the difference and I will check to be sure.  The DPP4 will probably allow all functions to work if RAW images are used, only some will work if using JPEG. I have a lot to learn but do appreciate this advice so I can move forward and try more new things. Thank you!

Hi Hilda. You are correct about your conclusion of DPP4 features. 

Unless you need immediate images for email or posting I would suggest you always shoot RAW. Nowadays any photo software you would use seamlessly imports RAW and converts it for editing. RAW gives you much better editing flexibility for adjustments. 

If you need JPEGs you can set the camera to RAW+JPEG and get both. 

You wont be able to use Auto mode, but Program mode is the same except it allows you to make adjustments and make use of the camera features. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements