cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to save thumbnails to import into MSWord

pklawitter
Apprentice

I'm trying to import photos of jewelry into an MS Word table to make sort of a catalog that I can type in descriptions in a column next to the photo. Most of the photos are saved as RAW.  Thank you, Paul

6 REPLIES 6

@pklawitter wrote:

I'm trying to import photos of jewelry into an MS Word table to make sort of a catalog that I can type in descriptions in a column next to the photo. Most of the photos are saved as RAW.  Thank you, Paul

Convert them to JPEGs of the correct size and resolution, and incorporate them (the JPEGs) into your Word document.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You can batch convert them using the utilities that Canon included with your camera.  There are numerous other image management apps that can handle this (e.g. Aperture, Lightroom, etc.) but Canon included software with your camera.  I'll talk about one approach... then I'll caution you on why you might want to take an alterante approach.

Launch Canon's "Digital Photo Professional" (DPP).  You'll inititially get a folder view (if not click the "Folder View" icon at the top).  Navigate to the folder containing your RAW images.  Select the images you'd like to convert (if on Windows you can click the first image to select it -- then shift-click the last image, and it will select the entire range OR you can ctrl+click each individual image (if you don't want the entire range.)

Having selected the images in the folder view mode, click the "Batch Process" icon along the top of the window (far right).  This will open a new window with your options for batch processing.

You should see the list of file names in the left margin.   In the panel on the right you can select the output file type you want (e.g. Exif-JPEG is the default I think... that's normal JPEG files and the conversion will not strip out the EXIF data (camera info and exposure settings, etc.) which is in the file.

Check the box that says "Resize" and enter the dimensions you'd like to use for the image.  You may either (a) set the dimensions in pixels (preferred), or (b) set the dimensions in centimeters or inches BUT NOTE that just above there's a box that says "Output resolution" and has a value (e.g. 300 dpi) will be used.  E.g. if you ask for a 2" x 3" image and the DPI box is set to 300 dpi, then it means you'll get a 600 pixels (2" x 300 dpi) by 900 pixels (3" x 300 dpi).  

You'll notice you can also set your "save folder" and you can also have it rename them as it converts them.

Click the "Execute" button when you're ready and it will create JPEG thumbnails from your RAW images (the original RAWs are left alone.)

Straight-forward enough... but you might not want to do it that way.

The "problem" with just doing a straight batch conversion is that these were "RAW" files.  RAW means the camera wont apply any changes that would result in the loss of original data.  This means that the camera will not have applied any "white balance" adjustment, exposure adjustment, sharpening, noise-reduction, etc. etc. that would oridinally have done if you shot in JPEG.

This is why people who shoot RAW will often use software that specializes in RAW workflow (Adobe Lightroom is extremely popular and probably the most popular software for this.)  Assuming all images were shot in the same light and using the same settings, you'd adjust the first image in Lightroom and then "sync" your changes to the rest of the images in the shoot.  In addition to global adjustments (light white balance) you might want to do individual adjustments (e.g. use a retouch tool to clean up dust specs that might have been on the jewelry, etc.)

Once you are satisified with your adjustments, you can export the images as JPEGs (and you can do a whole batch of them at once.)

Using the Canon software, you can individually open, adjust, and save each image.  But while Canon's DPP is powerful, it doesn't have the fast workflow of tools like Lightroom.  It's a bit more tediuous because you open each image, adjust, and save... one at a time.  With tools like Lightroom you can apply certain "global" types of changes to the entire shoot all at the same time -- and yet still put in individual tweaks unique to each image.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Using the Canon software, you can individually open, adjust, and save each image.  But while Canon's DPP is powerful, it doesn't have the fast workflow of tools like Lightroom.  It's a bit more tediuous because you open each image, adjust, and save... one at a time.  With tools like Lightroom you can apply certain "global" types of changes to the entire shoot all at the same time -- and yet still put in individual tweaks unique to each image.

That's a canard that's often repeated but isn't true. It's actually easy to apply global changes in DPP. You edit one of a group of similar pictures and capture a "recipe" that incorporates all the changes you made. Then you apply the recipe globally to the rest of the images, after which you can make individual changes if needed. Then you save them all and convert them to JPEG.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TCampbell wrote:

That's a canard that's often repeated but isn't true. It's actually easy to apply global changes in DPP. You edit one of a group of similar pictures and capture a "recipe" that incorporates all the changes you made. Then you apply the recipe globally to the rest of the images, after which you can make individual changes if needed. Then you save them all and convert them to JPEG.

Good to know.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Bob, thanks for the reply. I will try that if I get the courage to "edit" any of her photos before converting them (again) to jpeg thumbnails.

Cheers!

Tanks for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate it!  But I think I've made a mess of things. I took the memory chip from the camera and put it in my wife's laptop and copied all the photos (RAW) using Windows Explorer. Then she went thru them and deleted the ones she didn't want and I copied the remainder to a thumb drive and copied them to MY computer that contains DPP.  I used the batch processor and converted them to thumbnails.  Seemed to work OK, but most of the image file names got changed somehow, so now I have the project of matching the photos to the descriptions she wrote based on the file names on her laptop.

Happy days!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements