cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove shadows on faces with DPP 4

Stocktsi
Contributor

After some discussion on this forum, I got a Sigma 150-600 lense for my Canon and I love it.  The detail towards the long end of the zoom are amazing! 

I'm trying to take things to the next level with my pictures and get into post processing but feel completely lost even after watching the DPP training videos.  A common issue I'm trying to address is faces in shadows.  If there are multiple focal points, or a lot of background whites, I lose the detail on the faces and the rest of the body (example below). I've started taking L+raw so I have the raw version so I have those to edit in DPP as well (but too big to upload of course).  I've tried overall shadow/highlight as well as selecting their faces as the adjustment areas and haven't had much success.

Any suggestions for how I can get some of the detail back, either in post processing or adjusting how I'm taking the original pics?

Thanks for your help.

IMG_9114 -3.JPG

10 REPLIES 10

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

The "Adjust Specific Area" tool is actually very effective to be so simplistic. The hardest part is getting your mask brush set up. You can apply 5 separate masks and adjust them accordingly. I would like an eraser tool, like in some of my other image editors, just to cleanup when I go a little too far with the mask. It's a challenge to get fine detail or a nice clean edge in DPP4, but I use a Wacom Intuos medium sized tablet which makes it a little easier to get precision

This is what you get.

DPP 4 Masking.jpg

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements