cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long can I stream?

ryansp1
Apprentice

Hi, 

I have a couple Canon cameras that we are looking to use as webcams for some longer form streaming content. How long can I stream using this new software with an 80d? I imagine the recording limit doesn't play a factor here? Will anything else prevent this from continuous operation for say 4-5 hours? 

Additionally, I understand the 70d is not supported with the webcam software. But, using say, an encoder, would this camera also be able to stream continuously as well? 

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

Ray-uk
Whiz

Providing you have the 80D set up not to go into sleep mode then the only reason it will turn off is if the battery runs out or the sensor gets overheated.

Early 70D models had a mainboard problem which made them prone to overheating and breaking down when used for long periods so streaming with this model could be dodgy.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I do not recommend using a DSLR for several hours of streaming.  A DSLR is not designed for that type of use.  You need a real video camera, one which contains an automatic [cooling] fan, and includes an AC adapter for extended use.

As to whether or not your camera can stand up to that type of use, I don't know.  If you try it, I think it is likely that you may damage the camera in some way.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

one which contains an automatic colic fan,

Oooh I'm glad my camera hasn't got one of those Smiley LOL

Stephen

If you follow the instructions given to use the EOS Webcam Utility software, you won't be recording using the EOS camera, it will only be in Video mode. This will prevent the sensor from overheating, as it will just be in Live View mode. We've seen reports of folks streaming for several hours at a time while using an AC adapter. 

Bear in mind that the EOS Webcam Utility was created with web conferencing in mind, rather than production level streaming. 

You can't make a statement like that and let it sit there. How is live view mode different than video mode? Lower frame rate?

Yes. 

It's a variable frame rate - it goes as fast it can at the given time, and since it's not actively recording, the processor isn't working to encode the video on the fly to write to the card, so it's not as processor intensive, thereby not generating as much heat. (I'm not an engineer, but I've been told that's the gist of it).

I've also used the utility, and can say it works. Well. But it's not as good as an HDMI capture utility. It wasn't meant to replace a capture utility - it was meant to be a stop-gap for people who need something right now and have nothing better to use. 

The processor is of course the digic chip, not the sensor.

felipemathies
Apprentice
Im streaming for 3/4 hours a day with my T6i and Webcam Utility, using an AC adapter (fake battery)...fingers crossed that nothing bad happens...
Announcements