cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good replacment for EOS Utility?

GreenTea13
Contributor

Since Canon has really terrible policies about the EOS Utility I need some sort of program that will automatically transfer and organize my photos the way EOS Utility does. (I’m using a EOS Rebel T1i) Anyone have any recommendations? Preferably FREE recommendations?

On a side note, I don't see why they can't just make the program available for download. (they only have an updater which requires that you have the program installed already.) When I asked they said some bullsh** about international trading laws, which I don't believe for a second.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The S/N should be available in the metadata for your image. 

Do you have DPP? Go to View->Info and scroll all the way down to the bottom.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you go to the Vista (x64) support page for the T1i you can download a digital image of the CD that came with the camera.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/support-dslr/eos-rebel-t1i...

The reason they generally provide an updater is they assume you have the original CD.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

GreenTea13 wrote:

Since Canon has really terrible policies about the EOS Utility I need some sort of program that will automatically transfer and organize my photos the way EOS Utility does. (I’m using a EOS Rebel T1i) Anyone have any recommendations? Preferably FREE recommendations?

On a side note, I don't see why they can't just make the program available for download. (they only have an updater which requires that you have the program installed already.) When I asked they said some bullsh** about international trading laws, which I don't believe for a second.

What you're saying hasn't been true for years. For those who don't have the original CD, copies of a recent one are available on the Canon site. All you actually have to provide is a camera serial number. (Yeah, I know, That in itself seems a bit silly. But it's an annoyance, not a show stopper.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yeah, I can't read the serial on my camera because they decided to put it where you screw things into, so the number has been worn away over the years. I tried talking with them on live chat and they told me I would have to call them and I'm just going to assume that they are going to charge me for the CD.

The S/N should be available in the metadata for your image. 

Do you have DPP? Go to View->Info and scroll all the way down to the bottom.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Ok, I don't know why I didn't think of looking in the meta data or why the people on Canon support I talked with didn't think to tell me that.

Since it’s not listed for Windows 10 I ended up having to download the Vista version as jrhoffman75 suggested and for some reason when I click the program it’s just not starting. I tried using the updater for Windows 10 to see if that would help but the program just won’t start. *sigh*

Ok, so back to my original question, anyone know a good REPLACEMENT for  the EOS Utility that will automatically transfer and organize my photos? That’s all I need the program to do, I don’t need anything else. Right now I’m just organizing things manually which works well enough, but it would be really nice to be able to just hit a button and have it do all that stuff automatically for me.(Like I used to be able to do before my computer got wipped, thus the need for me to reinstall)

Did you download the EOS Solution Disk and install all the software? Or is it the solution disk that isn't installing?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I downloaded (For Vista x64)

• EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 29.0A for Windows (For users who cannot use the bundled CD)

It installed just fine but won't launch for some reason.

Then I tried to update it with this (from Windows 10 x64)

• EOS Utility 2.14.20a Updater for Windows

Still won't launch.

Hi Laura,

As we mentioned on Sunday, technical support can help you with this. They can get a physical copy of the disc, if necessary, or guide you through the download process.

Support is right here in the USA, free, and available from 8am to Midnight (ET) during the week, and from 10am to 8pm (ET) on Saturdays. Support can be reached by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666).

I just said that I already called and they said they didn't have a physical copy of the disc, I don't need help downloading the software from the site because I already have, no thanks to you guys since I needed the serial to do that and you wouldn't even help me with that. (all you had to do was remind me that the serial is in the photo info, I literally only needed to check the properties of a photo taken with the camera to find the serial number and you guys couldn't even tell me something as simple as that) 

Announcements