cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GP-E2 not seen by software

BenElliott
Contributor

I recently purchased a GP-E2 for geo-tagging my photos. I get great results when I fit the unit directly to the hot-shoe. I get good results when I connect the unit to the camera via the USB cables.

My problem begins when I set the unit to "Log" with the intention of downloading the log file later. Neither the Map Utility (Version 2016) or the GPS log utility (Dated 2019) will see the unit. Both pieces of software tell me to connect the unit. It is connected. But still I get the message: "No GPS device is connected". I have proved that the cables work, because they connect the unit with the camera. The USB ports and connectors work on the computer.

Am I supposed to set the unit to "On" or "Log" or leave it set to "Off"? Is there another problem that I'm not aware of? I was also under the impression that my computer (running Win10) would just see the unit as another storage device. Is this correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for the clarification.

You could try doing additional tests with a fresh battery. It might also help to disconnect other USB accessories and try different USB ports on your computers, since some USB ports can be stronger than others. If problems persist, then it does sound like something is not quite right with your GP-E2.

The repair options will vary depending on your location and are subject to change, so I would suggest that you email us to get the latest repair details for your area.

In that case, go ahead and email us at eosdigitalsupport@cits.canon.com with details about your GP-E2, your date of purchase, and the state from where you are sending it, and we'll walk you through the repair process.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Stephen

Hello!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know which camera you're using your GP-E2 with.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If you're in the United States, and this is an urgent support need, please click HERE to enter your product information and discover your support options. 

If you're outside of the USA, please click HERE to find support options in your country.

Thanks and have a great day!

Sorry for not being clear. I'm using the GP-E2 with both the 5D3 and 1dx and have no problems when the unit is attached to the camera either by hot-shoe or cable.

It's just that I can't get the unit recognised by a computer. By the way, all computers I use are running Win 10,

I saw nothing about retrieving logs in the manual.

Could it be on the SD card? I know it logs without being attached to the camera, but maybe you need to have it attached to the camera to retrieve the log.

Hi BenElliott,

Thank you for your reply.

You can connect the GP-E2 to the computer using the bundled USB cable. Then, turn it on and launch GPS Log File Utility, a program we've introduced for newer operating systems to replace our older Map Utility program.

You can get that program from the link below:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

Thanks for that reply. But, this is my difficulty.

I have downloaded the GPS Log utility, turned the GP-E2 unit on after plugging it into my computers (PLEASE NOTE-plural - I have tried on 3 different computers all running Win10) but the utility still says there is no GPS device connected. I have opened Windows device manager but cannot see the GP-E2 connected as a USB device, storage device or any other device.

Since the unit works on my 5d3 and 1dx when connected to the hot-shoe and when connected by the cables there is nothing wrong with either the unit or cables. Therefore, is there something wrong with the unit's usb interface or is there something in Win10 that needs switching on?

I am now getting very frustrated. Any guidance will be very gratefully received.

Ben

Thank you for the clarification.

You could try doing additional tests with a fresh battery. It might also help to disconnect other USB accessories and try different USB ports on your computers, since some USB ports can be stronger than others. If problems persist, then it does sound like something is not quite right with your GP-E2.

The repair options will vary depending on your location and are subject to change, so I would suggest that you email us to get the latest repair details for your area.

In that case, go ahead and email us at eosdigitalsupport@cits.canon.com with details about your GP-E2, your date of purchase, and the state from where you are sending it, and we'll walk you through the repair process.

Thanks for that suggestion.

I purchased in the UK, by the way.

Ben

I just tried my unit. Using a USB-A to Mini-USB cable on a W10 machine I get a connection and Log Utility reads my GPS unit.

Rather than direct connect GPS to camera through the hotshoe did you try to connect using the camera USB port and the GP-E2 camera cable? That should confirm whether or not you have a problem with the USB port on the GPS unit.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I did. There is no trouble with either the long or short cable.

I haven't had chance to try yet but, I have been tring usb3 slots. I need to try usb2.

Ben

Announcements