cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus won't work on Canon Utility

lookitsleelee
Apprentice

Can you help with this, I create YouTube videos and have been using the Utility to help me focus on my face. My sister was messing about with my camera settings and don't know what she has done but gone to film another video and it won't let me focus if anybody can help I would really appreciate that. Normally I will choose the focus option and then would press on but now it won't do it.

IMG_5076.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

Ray-uk
Whiz
Is the lens switch in the MF position ?

@Ray-uk wrote:
Is the lens switch in the MF position ?

It's on AF

@lookitsleelee wrote:

Can you help with this, I create YouTube videos and have been using the Utility to help me focus on my face. My sister was messing about with my camera settings and don't know what she has done but gone to film another video and it won't let me focus if anybody can help I would really appreciate that. Normally I will choose the focus option and then would press on but now it won't do it.

IMG_5076.jpg

1) Revert to factory settings and start over.

2) Lend only your spare camera.

BTW, Canon: This is an example of how useful it would be to have a feature in EOS Utility to export a camera's settings to a file that can later be re-applied to return the camera to a previous state.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@lookitsleelee wrote:

IMG_5076.jpg

1) Revert to factory settings and start over.

2) Lend only your spare camera.

BTW, Canon: This is an example of how useful it would be to have a feature in EOS Utility to export a camera's settings to a file that can later be re-applied to return the camera to a previous state.

How do I revert to factory settings - I have deleted Utility and redownloaded it

Hi lookitsleelee,

I have the exact the same problem.  I call Canon techanical support for twice, and spend ~2.5 hours with them.  Both Canon expert cannot find solution for this issue.  Do you have solution so far?  I have two weeks old 80D with EOS Utility on PC.

Cannot control focus manuelly on my 80D, it seems a EOS Utility's software problem.  I am trying Backyard EOS [Link removed per forum guidelines]  now, and it can control the focus without any problem.  You can try it for free for 30 days.  After that you will need to pay for the software.  I give up on EOS Utility now.  Beside calling the Canon techanical support for hours, I have spend too much time on trouble shooting it myself.  I give up on EOS Utility :(, and will choose paid software BackyardEOS now :).  

garbage.garbage.garbage

I've been trying for the last 3h to focus manually with EOS Utility 3, 80D and various lenses to no avail.
ABSOLUTE GARBAGE CANON

Hop Hop

Tim
Authority

Hello lookitsleelee,

There are a few troubleshooting steps I'd like to help resolve this issue. We'll reset the camera, which should restore it to a default state. These steps should clear out the memory and thereby any errors which may be present.

- Anything attached or installed in the camera — memory cards, the lens, the battery, battery grips should all be removed.

- Once the lens is off let's check it using the steps below.

a) Clean the lens contacts* to restore connection with the body.

*Warning - Do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser! It's easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts and end up with data communication problems! Our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean, micro fiber cloth. Please do not use anything abrasive.

b) Try using a different Canon EF series lens. It doesn't have to be the same focal length as the one you were using.

c) If you are using a third party lens, we recommend discontinuing its use. There can sometimes be communication error related issues with third-party lenses. Ensuring that you're using a Canon lens eliminates that as a potential factor in the error.

If the issues seem to persist the next step would be to send the equipment to Canon for service.

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

dskib8439
Apprentice

I figured out a solution: You need to switch your power-switch to VIDEO, not to "ON".

At least this works for me.

Announcements