cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request: EOS Webcam Utility to present Sound Interface

livestreamer
Enthusiast
# Summary

Currently, Canon EOS Webcam Utility presents a *video* interface to the Operating System, enabling a video signal to be consumed by an application (such as OBS, Facetime, Zoom, etc.).

This feature request is to propose that Canon EOS Webcam Utility *also* presents an *audio* interface, providing audio signal, synchronised with the video signal, to be consumed by applications running on the host machine.

# Implementation

This ought to be easy enough to do, for the Utility to source a stereo audio signal (from camera's internal mic, or microphone-in), and then present it to the operating system as a standard audio interface, which can also be selected by applications.

# Use Case - Wireless Livestream Publisher

EOS R sending content over WiFi to EOS Utility, containing synchronised 4k video + stereo WAV audio (synced in camera), being consumed as a single Source in OBS.

Then, the camera operator is able to control precisely what people hear (via headphone monitor) AND precisely what people see (via camera viewfinder)

This would eliminate any synchronisation / sound-drifting issues trying to sync "video only" from Camera, with audio from another source (trust me, it's painful, especially over WiFi / Bluetooth, but also over USB).

It would also be an immensely powerful tool in the hands of experimental device owners.. Camera to Computer to Livestream... NO CABLES!!!!!

# Conclusion

Please put this on your roadmap, and prioritise it. I can also help fund this if you have a way for me to donate.
13 REPLIES 13

@livestreamer wrote:

@Waddizzle - I wonder if you have a response on this one?

What do you think?

Your camera is already capable of output clean HDMI.  

I suggest that you use it.  All you need is a video capture device.  The Blackmagic Design ATEM Mini HDMI Live Stream Switcher is that type of video capture device.  All you need to add is a USB HDMI capture device, and a microphone.  I do not understand why you would want to use audio from the camera.  I

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle

> I do not understand why you would want to use audio from the camera.

I will explain. When livestreaming content where audio and video are required (e.g. music, public speech, dance, etc), it is imperative to synchronise the audio with the video. Any async or drift is uncomfortable for the Consumer viewing / listening to the content.

As a livestream Publisher, when taking only a video signal from the camera, and an audio signal from elsewhere, it is non-trivial to get (and keep) these in sync, especially when receiving video over WiFi.

So it ocurred to me, that the most elegant way to ensure these signals are in sync, would be to combine them at point of sampling from analogue-to-digital - for example how the cameras work when recording video to local storage: combining video from sensor with audio from microphone.

This way, we would get beautiful synced video + audio, with no drift / async:

• recorded locally (already exists)
  • served over HDMI (untested, maybe already exists)
  • served over USB / WiFi to Webcam Utility (possible, but not implemented)

Further, the EOS R already has such good onboard audio hardware - so why not use it more broadly?

1. The in-built stereo microphone is really very good.
  2. The headphone socket is excellent for monitoring sound levels.
  3. The stereo MIC line-in opens many opportunities to connect to sound sources (maybe over Rodelink)

These present an excellent basis upon which to put Canon in control of the audio as well as the video - if only they can match audio to video in-camera. Even no need for new hardware... just bring software in line with latest hardware.

> All you need is a video capture device.

I've been using a pair of Magewell USB Capture HDMI Plus devices to great effect for over 2 years now, capturing 1080p from 2 x 5D Mk iii: http://www.magewell.com/products/usb-capture-hdmi-plus - these are very good, but I have the following to share:

• HDMI Cabling is cumbersome and intrusive, especially in an intimate setting.
  • Single-purpose devices end up getting left behind when moving
  • More complexity increases the barrier to entry for other people, and I like sharing

Right now I am looking to minimise and rationalise my hardware needs, especially as I'm carrying around all this audio-equipment in the EOS R, and it's not being used.

A final note on this topic: I'm all for doing more in software, instead of proliferating single-purpose hardware devices - I think it's something to do with the environment.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback on this - I've brought together a summary of my thinking here: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/A-Roadmap-for-Livestreaming-Canon-Software-and-Hardware/... I invite you to comment.

"@Waddizzle

> I do not understand why you would want to use audio from the camera.

I will explain. When livestreaming content where audio and video are required (e.g. music, public speech, dance, etc), it is imperative to synchronise the audio with the video. Any async or drift is uncomfortable for the Consumer viewing / listening to the content."

---------------------------------

No need to explain something that I did not ask about.  I find it VERY odd that someone who is so interested in using the highest quality 4K video to live stream music performances would want to settle for the  low quality, audio in a DSLR.  Your AM radio has wider bandwidth and dynamic range..

No response is needed or desired.  BTW, your link seems to be dead or bogus.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

> Your AM radio has wider bandwidth and dynamic range..

Please don't misunderstand me - I don't mean the playback capabilities of the camera - that's terrible. I'm talking about inputting a stereo line-in to the camera's audio input, direct from the mixer, probably via a Rodelink.

And wow, did you guys really remove my post entitled "A Roadmap for Livestreaming - Canon Software and Hardware"?

Why would you do that?

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Removed-Posts/A-Roadmap-for-Livestreaming-Canon-Software-and-Hard...

Screenshot from 2020-08-06 21-26-42.png

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements