cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos Utility problem

alexpado
Apprentice

Hi to all,

I have a problem with the Eos Utility Software.

I have the OS Windows 8, and I installed the last version of EOS Uility 2.12 compatibility with the new OS.

When I connect my EOS 5D MKIII or the 7D the EOS Utility not recognized the camera.

The drivers are installed , all the others programs works fine with the cameras.

Someone have a suggestion ? Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was having the same issue with EOS Utility not seeing my D60.
In Device Manager, do you see any other devices other than your camera under "Portable Devices"? Under mine, I have listed 4 removable media drives "SD, CF, etc.) that corresponded to my All-in-one Internal USB2.0 connector Card Reader. Each slot is shown as a drive letter. I disabled all four drives by right clicking each one and choosing "Disable" Once that was complete I plugged the camera back in and started the Eos Utility. Camera was now fully recognized. I can still use the media slots even with each drive being disabled.
Good Luck
Rich

View solution in original post

132 REPLIES 132

runner
Apprentice

Hi All - First time poster here.    Has this problem been resolved?     I have read through this and many other discussions on line and tried everything suggested but still unsuccessful.

I have an EOS 30D and have used it for years with the Canon Utility provided, and Windows XP, with no problems. 

I recently had to change computers at work, and soon after at home.  One is a Dell XPS 8500 desktop, and the other is a Lenovo T420S laptop.    What they have in common is both are running Windows 7 64 bit, and I cannot get either one to operate with the Canon Utility.    I have tried the original EOS Utility 1.0.17, as well as downloaded 2.9.0.0 and 2.12.3.1.

It always in the end comes up with "Failed to communicate with the camera.  Check Connections".    I have tried every USB 2.0 and 3.0 port and 2 different cables.

I have gone into the device manager and disabled everything under Portable Devices.   Nothing helps.    Any resolution or new ideas?

Thanks!

Hi runner,

The EOS 30D may also appear as a portable device.  Please make sure you have not also disabled the camera by mistake.

What other devices, aside from the camera, do you have connected to your computer?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

jblaine
Apprentice

I have the same problem, and do not have any card readers or "Portable Devices" connected to my PC running Windows 8 64-bit.

This is definitely a real problem, and while others may have found a way to work around it when they have "Portable Devices" interfering, it still persists and I have only 1 item under "Portable Devices" in Device Manager: My Canon Digital Rebel XTi.

I am using the Windows 7 x64 EOS Utility as there is no EOS Utility download for Windows 8 for the Digital Rebel XTi. Smiley Frustrated

1. Power on Camera

2. EOS Utility loads, flashes on the screen, and disappears immediately.

Windows Event Viewer shows the following logged:

Faulting application name: EOS Utility.exe, version: 2.0.2.30, time stamp: 0x4a51b822
Faulting module name: EDSDK.dll, version: 1.2.0.5, time stamp: 0x46d40420
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0001e3e0
Faulting process id: 0x1570
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce12125826429e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EOS Utility\EOS Utility.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EOS Utility\EDSDK.dll
Report Id: 98e280d9-7e05-11e2-be76-00219b225d7a
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

And also:

Fault bucket 1602806191, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: EOS Utility.exe
P2: 2.0.2.30
P3: 4a51b822
P4: EDSDK.dll
P5: 1.2.0.5
P6: 46d40420
P7: c0000005
P8: 0001e3e0
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
C:\Users\jblaine\AppData\Local\Temp\WER4FE2.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\jblaine\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_EOS Utility.exe_3abf1c4a326ee6ee266305673e7fbe3bc3d4e5c_1eb65223

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 98e280d9-7e05-11e2-be76-00219b225d7a
Report Status: 0
Hashed bucket: 948079266429306335cf8d72bebbd9a3

This is a big bummer, as I relied on EOS Utility to easily copy then delete images from my camera.

Hi jblaine,

I noticed in reading over the event log that you are using a much older version of EOS Utility, version 2.0.2.  In order to get this working, you need to update to the latest version that supported the EOS Rebel XTi, version 2.9.0.  This update can be downloaded from our website.  I included a link to the download page below:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/digita...

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the exact same problem..   I have installed Canon Utilities EOS Utility  Version 2.12

I get the following error when I connect the camera (a 400d) which is a Rebel in the US

When I run the utilit without the camera connected it works ok...

the error is

Faulting application name: EOS Utility.exe, version: 2.0.2.30, time stamp: 0x4a51b822
Faulting module name: EDSDK.dll, version: 1.2.0.5, time stamp: 0x46d40420
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0001e3e0
Faulting process ID: 0x1d0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce1fdb24e4d5e0
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EOS Utility\EOS Utility.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EOS Utility\EDSDK.dll
Report ID: 6ae97f23-8bce-11e2-be94-1c6f65f9263d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Can someone help us this is getting frustrating!

Hi Mike,

I am also having the EOS Utility problem with my Rebel XTi EF-S 18-55. I have tried all the previous suggested but continue to have the same problem. I clicked on the link you provided to jblaine for the most recent EOS Utility version. Unless I'm mistaken, it looks as though EOS Utility was not a download option.

Any suggestions?

Got the exactly the same issue with EOS v2.13.0.0 a Canon EOS 400d and a PC running Windows 8 Pro.

The only thing the same is the EDSDK.dll version that is v1.2.0.5 on my computer too.

doudouille
Apprentice

Hello,

got exactly the same issue when I'm powering on my EOS 400D : EOS Utility loads, flashes on the screen, and disappears immediately.

Here's the error in Windows Event Viewer :

Nom de l’application défaillante EOS Utility.exe, version : 2.0.2.30, horodatage : 0x4a51b822
Nom du module défaillant : EDSDK.dll, version : 1.2.0.5, horodatage : 0x46d40420
Code d’exception : 0xc0000005
Décalage d’erreur : 0x0001e3e0
ID du processus défaillant : 0x15c0
Heure de début de l’application défaillante : 0x01ce5fd8291b1a9a
Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EOS Utility\EOS Utility.exe
Chemin d’accès du module défaillant: C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EOS Utility\EDSDK.dll
ID de rapport : 69e33fcd-cbcb-11e2-beb2-001bfcc9f802
Nom complet du package défaillant : 
ID de l’application relative au package défaillant : 

I'm using Windows 8 64bits and EOS Uility 2.13.0.0

I tried older versions - 2.7.0.3 and 2.9.0.0 - but still got the same problem 😞

Using the same computer everything was working fine with Windows 7 64bits and EOS Uility 2.7.0.3

Did anyone find a solution ?

Remark : don't know if it is useful but I start my installations using the original EOS cd (containing EOS Uility1.1.0.8)

My EOS Utility was working fine for a few years, 5D Mk2 on Windows 7 64-bit. I'd usually have to power the camera on and off to get the Utility to start downloading. But it stopped working. I just downloaded the newest update, nothing.

Any advice?

I see this issue has been open since November 2012,

and despite being marked as having a 'solutuion',

...... it seems people are still having issues, myself included.

Can anyone from Canon tell me if they are committed to fixing this issue, and on what timescale ?

Or is the assumed view that will get tired of asking, and give up ?

Sorry if the above sounds a little 'pissed', but I bought my camera to do a specific job, and since upgrading to W8 I cannot do that job.

For myself personally, that's a lot of money down the drain, and I'm not too impressed.

I will be significanlty upgrading my equipment in the near future, and my next choices will be  determined by what I see as 'reliability'.

Enough said.

Announcements